COMMUNITY COORDINATOR - DISTRICT 29 PRE-K CENTER (29Q381)
- Posted Date: Sep 13, 2019 Deadline: Sep 21, 2019
Under the supervision of the Principal, the Community Coordinator will perform duties related to developing and improving community relations. The Community Coordinator will support the school in its efforts to increase and maintain communication between the school and our students, families, staff, and community partners and other community organizations and high schools and colleges. The Community Coordinator will similarly work to develop and sustain positive relations with other schools in the community and other organizations within the NYC Department of Education. The Community Coordinator will also work with local businesses, corporations and community-based organizations to solicit interest in supporting and/or providing sites for the school’s fieldwork, internship, community service or community farming programs. Current groups working with the school include: Brickz 4 Kidz, Studio in a school, Reading Buddies Program PS 268, Queens Library STEM. Performs related work.
Director of Early Childhood
Serves as a liaison between school administration and community groups by coordinating and facilitating communication between the school, staff, students, families, community organizations, businesses, government agencies and the communities that these vital organizations represent.
- Maintains ongoing contact with community based organizations (CBO’s) that are involved with providing services to support the school’s educational programs.
- Assists students and staff in building relationships with external partners including those connected to the school.
- Meets with community leaders and the administration to plan community events.
- Meets regularly and communicate with community partners to schedule a calendar of events for the fiscal year.
- Coordinates and supervises various outreach programs between the school and the neighboring community.
- Responsible for the supervision, planning, implementation, coordination, and monitoring of community development programs.
- Develops, coordinates and monitors partnerships and community development programs associated with the PTA and CBO’s.
- Prepares evaluation reports; performs analyses; and reviews program plans, funding and performance with various CBO’s.
- Works with our various departments and Parent Association to support and develop the community workshops.
- Prepares correspondence, documents, and other forms of written communication for internal and external community outreach purposes.
- Provides logistical and administrative support to the Parent Coordinator and the Principal related to community outreach and parent engagement.
- Encourages participation from the school’s community groups in recreational activities and assists with the provision of related operational support including outreach to community agencies.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
- Public speaking ability and good people skills.
- Ability to interact with people of all social and economic levels.
- Prior experience in school setting and interaction with students, parents, and school staff.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work with students, teachers, and supervisors.
- Knowledge of school program objectives.
- Strong literacy skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex issues when necessary.
This is a 12 month 35 hour per week annual assignment. Position will require flexibility with respect to work hours in order to meet the needs of the school community, including early mornings, evenings and weekends. Use of earned vacation and/or compensatory time is subject to approval of school principal.
Application: Please send cover letter and resume, no later than September 21, 2019, to:
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.