GUIDANCE COUNSELOR VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 29 HOME SCHOOL GUIDANCE COUNSELORS 2019 2020
- Posted Date: Nov 25, 2019 Deadline: Jan 3, 2020
New York United StatesBROOKLYN
(SUBJECT TO BUDGET AVAILABILITY)
Office of Home Schooling - Guidance Counselors (Up to Two) Currently In Excess Only
Note: Position only open to internal NYC Department of Education employees. May only be filled with DOE candidates who are currently in excess.
10 MONTH POSITION OPEN TO GUIDANCE COUNSELORS CURRENTLY IN EXCESS ONLY
65 Court Street, Brooklyn NY, but will be expected to travel throughout the five boroughs as needed for meetings and home visits.
New York State licensed Guidance Counselor currently in excess. Must possess valid state certification as a Guidance Counselor and, you must also have been rated Satisfactory (S) for the past 3 years with a satisfactory record of attendance and punctuality.
Note: Position only open to internal NYC Department of Education employees in excess only.
The Office of Homeschooling (OHS) services more than 8,000 families per year. Under the direction of the Executive Director and/or Director of Special Projects in the Office of Curriculum, Instruction, and Professional Learning, Home School Guidance Counselors will work with the Director of Homeschooling to interact with parents and families of homeschooled students. Guidance counselors will conduct outreach to obtain current and accurate contact information for families of students that are homeschooled, including conducting parent outreach and home visits as needed, review and update ATS information pertaining to home schooling, and document all transfer and discharge information. Additional responsibilities include responding to inquiries and requests for information from parents, schools, and other relevant organizations, conduct compliance, outreach, and attendance functions, and work with other OHS staff to manage all facets of homeschooling cases.
- Manage on-site compliance efforts including conducting outreach to obtain current and accurate contact information for families of students that are homeschooled
- Review and update ATS information pertaining to home schooled students to document all transfer and discharge information
- Conduct compliance, outreach, and attendance functions, which may include coordination and communication with parents/guardians, schools, and other City agencies
- Collaborate with Director of Homeschooling and Office of Curriculum, Instruction, and Professional Learning staff to complete assigned tasks
- Stay up to date of new DOE policies and procedures as related to the position and attend professional development sessions as needed
- Conduct home visits and meetings with partner agencies regarding specific student cases as needed
- Knowledge and familiarity with NYCDOE policy and procedures relating to pupil personnel services, including ATS on a high school, middle, or elementary school level
- Extensive experience working with parents/guardians
- Willingness to participate in meetings with parents/guardians and professional development at DOE locations including 333 Seventh Avenue in Manhattan or other locations
- Willingness and ability to use NYCDOE systems including email and ATS
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with other professional staff
- Proven success initiating and maintaining open communications with students and families
- Eagerness to learn new skills and committed to attend professional development activities
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent record of attendance and punctuality
- Willingness to attend meetings/home visits at locations across the city as needed
As per collective bargaining agreement
As per collective bargaining agreement / 6 ½ hours per day, exclusive of a 30 minute lunch, that is 32 ½ hours per week. The guidance counselor’s work days will follow the official NYC DOE school calendar.
Please send cover letter describing related experience and current resume to: email@example.com,
Attention: Christopher Sandor.
(Please include Vacancy Circular Number and Home Schooling Guidance Counselor in subject line. Pease include your DOE email address and/or file number in your application).
Please be sure application includes resume, cover letter and your NYCDOE file number. Resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.