- Posted Date: Jun 3, 2020 Deadline: Oct 8, 2020
School Name: P.S. 938
School Site: K667- 3269 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn NY, 11208
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Portfolio to: 19K938@gmail.com
At P.S. 938 we prepare all scholars for success by providing an innovative, STEM-focused learning environment that deeply engages students in relevant experiences that foster a love of education. At P.S.938 we understand and fully embrace the ideas that student “success” requires the articulation of learning and student performance based upon a strong and positive relationship between students and teachers (academics and school culture) and the realization by each student that they are unique and special.
At the center of all we do are our core values woven into the fabric of our school life. Our core values are curiosity, joy and voice. These values guide our decision making and help ensure that all aspects of our school are in alignment with maintaining a positive and strong school culture.
- Curiosity- We ask questions about the world around us.
- Joy- We enjoy learning because learning is how we grow.
- Voice- We express ourselves clearly and are empowered to use our voice to create a community of kindness, positivity, and respect.
A 5-day summer planning institute will offer an essential opportunity for staff to be involved in developing the school’s culture and instructional program. Because we believe that all staff members play an important role in the education of our students, the school will offer opportunities for paraprofessionals to support and participate in activities such as:
- After school and/or Saturday tutoring, enrichment, sports, arts, and family programs - In-house school committees and/or special programs
- Any other opportunities you’ll have in your school that are outside of paraprofessionals’ contractual obligations within the scope of a paraprofessional’s responsibilities.
PARAPROFESSIONAL VACANCY CIRCULAR
Advance notice of dates will be supplied, and those who participate will be compensated according to the terms of the UFT contract. Staff participation in these activities is voluntary, although strongly encouraged, as they are very important to the development of the school.
UFT Paraprofessionals hired after 2004 must have a Level 1 NYSED Teaching Assistant Certificate. UFT Paraprofessionals hired before 2004 currently on DOE payroll are eligible for this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because roles in small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the school’s mission and core beliefs and to become involved in these essential aspects:
- Working within a non-traditional school schedule and organization structure that meets the needs of English Language learners and students requiring special education services.
- Supporting students in the classroom.
- Contributing to student observation and documentation files.
- Collaborating with individual teachers and teacher teams to provide targeted, small group and one-on-one instructional support to students.
- Working with teachers to implement an integrated curriculum and student-centered environment.
- Collaborating with teachers to create a learning environment where students’ emotional and social needs are met through conflict resolution, peer mediation, collaborative learning, team building activities, etc.
- Seeking professional growth experiences, and contributing to the professional growth of colleagues.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities
- Ability to assist teachers in implementing instructional strategies in all subject areas in daily lessons
- Ability to work with classroom teachers to implement collaborative learning activities
- Strong student management skills
- Ability to professionally and effectively communicate orally and in writing with colleagues and students
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate and support school wide initiatives to support student engagement and learning
- Commitment to continuous professional growth (i.e. professional development, formal education, outside reading)
- Experience or willingness to learn how to support the use of technology in the classroom to improve student learning
- Ability to assist teachers in all independent, partner, group and whole class projects, work and activities
- Excellent attendance, punctuality and organizational skills
PARAPROFESSIONAL VACANCY CIRCULAR
In addition to the cover letter, resume, and interview, applicants must present three references including, if possible, one from a current supervisor. Other references might include a colleague with whom the applicant has collaborated, and/or a professional organization or staff development representative.
WORK SCHEDULE & SALARY As per Collective Bargaining Agreement.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.