PARENT COORDINATOR - EAST WILLIAMSBURG SCHOLARS ACADEMY (14K477)
- Posted Date: Aug 28, 2018 Deadline: Sep 21, 2018
Brooklyn, New York United States
The Parent Coordinator is part of the administrative team working under the supervision of the principal. The Parent Coordinator will engage with and involve parents in the school community by working with the principal, school staff, school leadership team, parent associations, community groups and parent advisory councils.
This position focuses on creating a welcoming environment for parents. The Parent Coordinator will identify parent and related school/community issues and work with the principal to see they are addressed in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Increases parent involvement in the school by working closely with all school, parent and community organizations.
- Serves as facilitator for parent and school community concerns and issues including, for example, school policies or facilities issues.
- Conducts outreach to engage parents in their children’s education.
- Convenes regular parent meetings and events around topics of key concerns to parents.
- Attends parent meetings along with the principal, where appropriate.
- Works with the school parent association, where needed, to provide assistance in establishing by-laws, holding elections and conducting their affairs in accordance with Chancellor’s Regulation A-660.
- Serves as a school liaison to Central and Field-based parent support staff.
- Maintains ongoing contact with community organizations that are involved with providing services to the school’s educational program.
- Organizes back to school and other events to increase parental and community involvement and creates a welcoming school environment to parents.
Minimum Selection Criteria
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work in an area related to the duties described above; or an Associate’s degree or its educational equivalent and four years of experience in community work in an area related to the duties described above is preferred.
A high school diploma and six years of experience in community work in an area related to the duties described above.
The following qualifications are also preferred for the position:
- Familiarity with the New York City public school system.
- Presently or formerly a public school parent.
- Experience with convening workshops.
- Bilingual where there is a significant non-English speaking population.
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Conflict resolution and mediation skills.
- Experience working with families and parents in education and/or community issues.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
Position will require flexibility with respect to work hours in order to meet the needs of parents, including early mornings, evenings and weekends. The position may also require occasional assignment to different work sites such as during summer months.
Use the attached form to apply, and send it, along with a copy of your resume, no later than September 21, 2018, to:
Rosemary Vega, Principal
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.