PER SESSION VACANCY CIRCULAR (VC) NOTICE # 177: Supervisor - Foreign Language Translators for January 2020 NYS Regents (Office of Assessment)
- Posted Date: Oct 24, 2019 Deadline: Nov 22, 2019
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
Supervisors to serve as foreign language translators to support scoring of the January 2020 New York State Regents assessments
THIS CIRCULAR CONTAINS NOTICE OF MULTIPLE POSITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SCORING OF THE 2020 JANUARY REGENTS EXAMS. EACH POSITION IS ASSOCIATED WITH A SINGLE REGENTS EXAM. APPLICANTS MAY APPLY FOR ONE OR MORE POSITION(S).
EXPECTED # OF OPENINGS
Regents Exam Translator
Dates and hours vary depending on exam assignment
* Note that dates and hours are subject to change and may vary by scoring site/exam
Various sites throughout New York City (scoring locations for each exam)
Accepted applicants will be assigned to the scoring site closest to their work location, as permitted by capacity. There will be one or more scoring sites for each exam across all five boroughs.
New York City Department of Education currently appointed EAs, Principals, and Assistant Principals.
- Applicants with an unsatisfactory or ineffective rating in the 2018-19 or 2017-18 school year are not eligible to be selected for this activity.
Applicants who have received an unsatisfactory rating for an Office of Assessment per session activity are not eligible to be selected for this activity.
All candidates must:
- Be available to attend the full training and scoring commitment for the particular NYS Regents exam, as indicated in the table above and/or scheduled by the Scoring Site Supervisor. Training or scoring which occurs on school days will start at between 4 and 5:00pm; training or scoring which takes place on weekend dates will start at 8:30am. See THIS LINK for the expected scoring schedule.
- Note: Accepted applicants who are absent from training or scoring, arrive at the scoring site late, fail to apply the NYSED rubric, or use electronic devices during scoring will be released from the assignment.
- Hold fluency (reading abilities, writing abilities, speaking abilities, oral and written translation abilities, and familiarity with academic vocabulary) in one or more foreign languages (including but not limited to Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Haitian/Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu).
- Note: This applies for Algebra I, Algebra II, Chemistry, Earth Science, Geometry, Global History, Living Environment, Physics, and US History positions ONLY.
- Be able to report to and travel between various scoring sites throughout New York City, pending need.
Regents Exam Translators will:
- Be assigned to translate exams at the discretion of the Scoring Site Supervisor and the Office of Assessment. Preference among which exam subject an individual will translate, and the modality of the translation (written or oral) is not guaranteed.
- Provide providing accurate oral and written English translations of students’ foreign language exam responses.
- Work collaboratively with Scorers, Content Trainers, and Scoring Site Supervisors.
- Ensure that translations proceed at a pace which will ensure that all exams are graded in a timely manner.
- Note: Translators selected for this vacancy will NOT be responsible for scoring Regents exams.
Indicated in the table above.
- Note that dates and hours are estimated in the posting, are subject to change, and are not guaranteed.
- In order to maintain continuity and consistency of scoring, applicants must be available for the full expected dates and hours of the activity in order to accept the position.
ADDITIONAL HOURS GRANTED UPON THE APPROVAL OF THE HIRING MANAGER.
Per Session rates as per the UFT Collective Bargaining Agreement. Contingent Upon Funding Availability. (UFT or relevant Union/Organization).
All applications must be submitted online at https://www.nycenet.edu/offices/dhr/regents. Applicants selected for the positions will be notified via their NYC DOE email. If you have any questions concerning this activity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
If you have any questions about this activity, please e-mail email@example.com
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.