PER SESSION VACANCY CIRCULAR (VC) NOTICE # 184: Teacher - Race Against Waste Green Team Co-Leader in Selected Middle and High Schools (CIPL)
- Posted Date: Nov 21, 2019 Deadline: Dec 20, 2019
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
Race Against Waste Green Team Co-Leader in Selected Middle and High Schools
Various locations citywide
Regularly appointed New York City Department of Education teacher employed at one of the specified Race Against Waste program middle or high schools in SY2019-20
Priority will be given to applicants that fulfill the following criteria:
• Satisfactory experience in moderating school activities; e.g., clubs, after-school tutoring, etc.
• Prior experience in facilitating and planning school-based sustainability projects and ability to transfer project skills to the members of the Race Against Waste Green Team
• Demonstrated knowledge and use of Common Core Learning Standards
• Willingness to lead student investigations outside of school and in classroom settings
• Excellent strategic thinking, organizational, written, verbal, and presentation skills
• Strong collaboration skills; ability to co-lead with another teacher
• Commitment to work during agreed upon schedule
• Demonstrated knowledge and use of presentation technology tools
• Excellent record of attendance and punctuality
• Attend all professional development sessions for the Race Against Waste Program
• In conjunction with a co-leader, manage all logistics of running weekly after-school Green Team meetings such as confirming a location to hold the meetings, choosing a consistent day/time to meet, and communicating participation expectations to students and families
• Recruit 15-25 committed students in grades 6-12 to participate in the program
• Monitor and track student attendance at weekly meetings
• Plan, present, and moderate the Race Against Waste Green Team activities (from December 2019 through May 2020) to implement service-learning on reducing and reusing outside of school and in classroom settings
• Prepare, develop, and revise instructional materials for Race Against Waste Green Team activities
• Support participating students’ development of research, communication, and presentation skills
• Regularly communicate updates, challenges, and successes of the Race Against Waste Green Team to the Service in Schools program team
• Lead students’ preparation for and participation in the culminating Sustainability Showcase on June 3, 2020
• Complete all tasks deemed necessary for the program
• Submit legible timesheets on time and in the format requested by the program office
• Other duties as needed
Various dates and times, including after-school, evenings, and weekends; December 2019 through May 2020. Schedules will be determined at the school level.
ADDITIONAL HOURS GRANTED UPON THE APPROVAL OF THE HIRING MANAGER.
Per Session rates as per the UFT Collective Bargaining Agreement. Contingent Upon Funding Availability. (UFT or relevant Union/Organization).
Email resume and Form OP-175 (available in the schools and on the DHR website) by December 20, 2019 to ServiceinSchools@schools.nyc.gov. Must put “[your name] – Race Against Waste Per Session 19-20” in the subject line and include the above circular number in your email. NO FAXES or MAIL will be accepted.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
If you have any questions about this activity, please e-mail ServiceinSchools@schools.nyc.gov
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.