PER SESSION VACANCY CIRCULAR (VC) NOTICE # 236: Teachers (Summer Lead Instructor for the NYC Teaching Fellows Program) - NYCTF
- Posted Date: Mar 25, 2019 Deadline: Jul 31, 2019
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
Summer Lead Instructor for the NYC Teaching Fellows Program (up to 45 positions available)
- NYCDOE licensed and appointed teacher with a minimum of three (3) years of teaching experience
- 1+ year of experience facilitating professional development sessions on discrete skills and strategies related to teaching
- Possesses deep knowledge of K-12 teaching skills
- Creates a positive, productive classroom culture for adult learners
- Models a variety of effective/high quality instructional strategies
- Can adapt provided curricula to meet the needs of adult learners without compromising ambitious outcomes for all
- Self-starter who plans, prepares, and practices content delivery in advance of sessions
- Desire to work with and develop aspiring teachers
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire adult learners
- Ability to connect with adult learners quickly and build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Can effectively communicate and articulate beliefs and thoughts behind actions, decisions and ideas for both students and teacher candidates
- Highly engaging presenter who invites all learners to contribute to the discussion
- Model habits of continuous professional improvement
- Ability to reflect on feedback from colleagues and administrators, and adjust professional practice when necessary
- Proficiency with teaching technologies such as PowerPoint, SmartBoard, learning management systems, and cloud based interfaces
- Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills record-keeping skills
- Consistent and reliable access to email, phone and the internet
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced setting
Preference will be given to those candidates who demonstrate:
- 1+ years of experience in a teacher leadership role including, but not limited to, Mentor Teacher, Lead Teacher, Cooperating Teacher, NYCTF Summer Staff, Peer Collaborative Teacher, Model Teacher, Master Teacher, NYCTC Collaborative Coach, NYCTA Collaborative Coach, Lead Coach.
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques
- Lead daily Skill-Building Sessions for 20-40 Fellows to support their acquisition of instructional planning and execution
- Deeply internalize Skill-Building Session curricula, including Teach Like a Champion techniques and vernacular, to facilitate and adapt sessions to meet the needs of Fellows.
- Facilitate Responsive Coaching Sessions for small groups of Fellows to target their highest areas of need
- Provide targeted, actionable feedback to Fellows as they practice foundational techniques so that Fellows understand the components of effective instruction, and can develop those components within their own teaching practice.
- Model rigorous instruction and strong classroom management
- Establish and reinforce a culture of achievement that drives Fellows to ensure that all students can achieve at high levels
- Monitor, gather and track trends in and evidence of Fellows’ progress and professionalism; communicate findings on Fellow performance and progress with other NYCTF staff
- Participate in training sessions for the role during the Spring semester outside of school hours.
Summer (July - August):
6 hours/day, 5 days/week for 5 weeks (exact start and end times vary by summer school site) (approximately 150 hours) at the Teacher Rate (TR) as per the UFT contract.
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
If you have any questions about this activity, please e-mail: email@example.com
NOTE: Service exceeding the number of hours specified in Chancellor’s Regulation C-175 governing per session activities requires prior approval. The appropriate Per Session Supervisor must make the request via the Per Session Service System and receive approval before the person can begin working in the activity. Failure to obtain a valid waiver may result in the withholding of payment for hours worked beyond the maximum.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.