PER SESSION VACANCY CIRCULAR (VC) NOTICE # 314: Teacher - Elementary Grade Scorers Plus CBT (Office of Assessment)
- Posted Date: Jan 15, 2020 Deadline: Feb 14, 2020
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
THIS CIRCULAR CONTAINS NOTICE OF MULTIPLE POSITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SCORING OF THE 2020 GRADES 3-5 ELA & MATH NY STATE EXAMS. POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO MARK EXAMS FOR EITHER THE ELA OR MATH EXAMS. APPLICANTS MAY APPLY FOR ONE OR BOTH POSITIONS.
Teachers as Scorers to mark the 2020 Grades 3-5 ELA and Math NY State Common Core exams.
Exam: ELA – Elementary School Grades (3-5)
Expected Dates: April 30 – May 7 (note that dates are subject to change)
Expected Hours: 42 (not guaranteed)
Expected Number of Openings: 1000 (not guaranteed)
Exam: Math – Elementary School Grades (3-5)
Expected Dates: May 27 – April 6 (note that dates are subject to change)
Expected Hours: 46 (not guaranteed)
Expected Number of Openings: 1100 (not guaranteed)
Various sites throughout New York City. See bit.ly/ELAMathScoringSites for a list of scoring locations for each exam
New York City Department of Education licensed and appointed teachers.
- All candidates must:
- Be available to attend the full training and scoring commitment for the particular position, as shown in the expected scoring schedule (bit.ly/ELAMathPerSessionCalendar). Training or scoring which occurs on school days will start at 4:15pm; training or scoring which takes place on weekend dates or weekdays schools are not in session will start at 8:30am. Accepted applicants who are absent from training or scoring, arrive at the scoring site late, fail to apply the rubric, or use electronic devices during scoring may be released from the assignment.
- Be working under either a preferred or qualifying appointed license for the activity. For a list of preferred and qualifying licenses, see bit.ly/2020ELAMathLicenseMapping.
- Be rated Satisfactory, Highly Effective, Effective, or Developing; applicants with an Unsatisfactory or Ineffective rating in either the 2018-19 or 2017-18 school years, or those who have received an Unsatisfactory rating for an Office of Assessment per session activity are not eligible for this activity.
- Applicants who have earned retention rights and applied the retention rights in the application.
- Applicants who are currently assigned as Instructional Coaches, Model/Master Teachers, or Peer Collaborative Teachers in Galaxy and are working under a preferred or qualifying license.
- Applicants currently scheduled in STARS as teaching grades 3-5 and are working under a preferred license, then
- Applicants currently scheduled in STARS as teaching grades 3-5 and are working under a qualifying license, then
- Applicants currently scheduled in STARS as teaching grades K-2 and are working under a preferred license, then
- Applicants currently scheduled in STARS as teaching grades K-2 and are working under a qualifying license.
Applicants within each category will be considered according to seniority.
For math scoring positions only: Candidates who hold fluency – reading, writing, and speaking – of one or more foreign languages (including but not limited to: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Haitian/Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu) may receive preference. Fluency is defined as:
- Familiarity with academic vocabulary for the math exam in one or more foreign languages, and
- Ability to translate students’ foreign language responses into English (orally and in writing).
Scorers will be responsible for grading the NYS Common Core exams for elementary (3-5) school grades, according to the position for which they are selected. Scorers will be responsible for marking exams according to NYSED and NYCDOE policy, and for ensuring that scoring proceeds at a pace which will ensure that all exams are graded in a timely manner.
Scorers will be assigned to score questions or perform other scoring functions at the discretion of the Scoring Site Supervisor. Preference among which questions an individual will grade, or what additional functions an individual will perform, is not guaranteed.
See bit.ly/ELAMathPerSessionCalendar for the expected work schedule. Note that dates and hours are estimated, are subject to change, and are not guaranteed. In order to maintain continuity and consistency of scoring, applicants must be available for the all expected dates and hours of the activity in order to accept the position.
ADDITIONAL HOURS GRANTED UPON THE APPROVAL OF THE HIRING MANAGER.
Per Session rates as per the relevant union/organization of the advertised title (UFT, CSA, DC-37 - Collective Bargaining Agreement). Contingent Upon Funding Availability.
All applications must be submitted online at https://www.nycenet.edu/offices/dhr/elamath. Applicants selected for the positions will be notified via their NYCDOE email.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
If you have any questions about this activity, please contact email@example.com.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.