PER SESSION VACANCY CIRCULAR (VC) NOTICE # 62: Teacher (Piano Accompanist, All-City HS) - OASP
- Posted Date: May 20, 2019 Deadline: Dec 31, 2019
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
Piano Accompanist for All-City High School Chorus
Frank Sinatra School of the Arts, Astoria, Queens (subject to change)
35-12 35th Avenue
Queens, New York 11106
New York City Department of Education licensed teacher of music
- Holds active New York State teaching certification in music
- Demonstrated evidence of professional level piano skills, including music sight-reading
- Demonstrated ability to accompany varied musical styles authentically and fluidly
- Effective or Highly Effective ratings in Advance for the past three years while teaching in NYCDOE choral music programs, high school preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively with teacher colleagues and program supervisor
- Ability to take direction from the Principal Conductor of the All-City High School Chorus and/or Program Manager of the All-City High School Music Program
- Satisfactory piano audition performance
- Demonstrated ability to be well organized and follow detailed instructions and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Documented record of excellent attendance and punctuality
- Proficiency using cloud-based Office 365 applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Forms
Note: Applicants for per session employment who are not employed in the Department of Education’s regular school program or adult education program shall be considered for selection only if no qualified day school teacher or adult education employee is available.
- Provide piano accompaniment and teach choral/vocal parts for weekly sectionals, full ensemble rehearsals, solo voice coachings, and scheduled performances under the direction of the All-City High School Chorus and/or Program Manager of the All-City High School Music Program, assuming conducting responsibility only as requested
- Work collaboratively with principal conductor and associate/assistant conductors (teachers) to prepare students (chorus and soloists) for scheduled concerts
- Actively recruit students to audition and enroll in the All-City High School Music Program
- Assist with all aspects of rehearsal and concert participation, including but not limited to:
- regular updating of emergency contact information in the OASP-specified electronic system(s) (shared with the All-City High School Music Program Manager and select OASP staff)
- weekly updating of attendance records using OASP-specified electronic system (shared with the All-City High School Music Program Manager and select OASP staff)
- ongoing communication with students and parents (email, phone, in person) regarding regular attendance and punctuality
- weekly musical preparation for rehearsal, including thorough score study
- implementing rehearsal outlines and maintaining focus around rehearsal goals, determined by Principal Conductor in collaboration with All-City High School Chorus faculty, shared each week via Office 365 with faculty, All-City High School Program Manager and select OASP staff
- weekly distribution of MetroCards and monthly completion of MetroCard accountability forms, according to specified procedures.
- reviewing several drafts of the concert program, performance narratives, stage plots, and award nominee biographies by requested deadlines
- semi-annual inventory
- Exercise sound professional judgment at all times and maintain a positive, respectful, proactive stance while remaining in accordance with all NYCDOE Chancellor’s regulations
- Ensure safety protocols are followed and building secured at the end of each activity
August 2019 through June 2020 - Saturdays, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. Other weekday and weekend hours as needed, dates and times to be determined.
Up to 150 hours total
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
Cover letter, resume, Application Form OP-175 (available in schools and DHR website), and a copy of your NYS Teaching license must be received on or before December 31, 2019.
Callie McGlone, Arts Program Manager
Office of Arts and Special Projects
4360 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, New York 10033
Attention: All City H.S. Music Program Piano Accompanist
If you have questions concerning this advertisement e-mail Callie McGlone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.