PER SESSION VACANCY CIRCULAR (VC) NOTICE # 697: Teacher (Teacher, Afterschool Reading Club) - DECE/ARC
- Posted Date: May 28, 2019 Deadline: Apr 1, 2020
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
NYSED licensed and/or NYCDOE certified Teachers (multiple positions) to be teachers for the Afterschool Reading Club (ARC) and provide daily reading lessons including but not limited to - read alouds, literacy teaching and support, homework help, parent workshops; to participate in professional development; and to participate in community and parent sessions.
Various locations Citywide (Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island)
New York City Department of Education appointed and state certified Common Branches, Literacy, Reading teachers, Special Education, Speech, or Guidance Counselors.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following:
• Appointed teacher with minimum of three (3) years of satisfactory teaching experience
• Letter of recommendation from a supervisor preferred
• Familiarity with Common Core Learning Standards in Literacy K-5
• Experience in working with students in shelter
• Experience with creating lesson plans
• Familiarity with best practices in literacy and differentiated instruction
• Demonstrated experience working with various ability levels
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills
• Proficient in the use of technology (especially Microsoft Office and Excel) and Web-based applications
• Willingness and availability to attend training meetings after school
• Other criteria that this program may require in accordance with the UFT Collective Bargaining Agreement
• Demonstrated ability to work well with students and families in an after-school setting
• Excellent written communication, organizational, and computer literacy skills
• Satisfactory record of attendance and punctuality
Per session personnel will perform one or more of the following tasks under the direction of the appropriate supervisor:
• Participate in all training sessions and professional development workshops
• Work collaboratively with program staff at the DOE and at each site
• Develop and conduct daily lessons - provide daily reading lessons including but not limited to - read alouds, literacy teaching and support, homework help, parent workshops
• Participate in community and parent sessions
• Collect daily attendance
• Differentiate lessons as needed
• Help develop and adapt curriculum materials
• Develop a safe and inclusive learning environment for students and families team
• September 2019 through June 2020
• Schedule based on program needs (usually, Wed. – Fri., 2:30p.m. –5:30p.m.)
HOURS UP TO, BUT NOT LIMITED TO APPROXIMATELY TBD HOURS. ADDITIONAL HOURS GRANTED UPON THE APPROVAL OF THE HIRING MANAGER.
Per Session rates as per the relevant union/organization of the advertised title (UFT, CSA, DC-37 - Collective Bargaining Agreement). Contingent Upon Funding Availability.
Submit letter of application, résumé, and a copy of your Department of Education License and OP‐175 form (available in schools and on DHR Website), by December 31, 2019 via email to: ARC@schools.nyc.gov Please put “ARC Teacher” in the subject line.
Include the above per session vacancy circular number in your letter of application.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
If you have any questions about this activity, please e-mail email@example.com
NOTE: Service exceeding the number of hours specified in Chancellor’s Regulation C-175 governing per session activities requires prior approval. The appropriate Per Session Supervisor must make the request via the Per Session Service System and receive approval before the person can begin working in the activity. Failure to obtain a valid waiver may result in the withholding of payment for hours worked beyond the maximum.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.