PER SESSION VACANCY NOTICE # 359: Teacher - NYC Specialized Teacher Enhancement Pathway (STEP) Program Facilitator (Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality)
- Posted Date: Mar 12, 2020 Deadline: Apr 12, 2020
(CONTINGENT UPON FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
Teacher: NYC Specialized Teacher Enhancement Pathway (STEP) Program Facilitator (Up to 60 positions available)
• NYCDOE licensed, appointed, and tenured teacher with a minimum of three (3) year of teaching experience;
• Possesses a bilingual extension or a Students with Disabilities Grades 7-12 Generalist certification;
• Received rating of Satisfactory, Effective, or Highly Effective in SY 18-19; and
• Classroom teacher in a Bilingual or Secondary Students with Disabilities classroom within the last 3 years.
• Demonstrates effective practice in planning, classroom environment and instruction, as evidenced by the Danielson Framework for Teaching
• Demonstrates strong instructional practice, as evidenced by content knowledge and rigorous instruction that is appropriate for the specific student population (Bilingual or Secondary Students with Disabilities)
• Demonstrates cultural competence and utilizes culturally sustaining teaching practices
• Creates a safe, equitable, inclusive classroom environment; and demonstrates high expectations with his/her students
• Models awareness of issues of equity in the classroom through a variety of instructional strategies
• Builds and maintains strong relationships with students, families and communities
• Is a reliable, polished, professional and is able to demonstrative self-reflection to improve practice
• Collaborates with high energy and drive
• Holds high expectations for students and colleagues
• Is comfortable coaching a colleague, providing feedback via virtual platforms
• Builds strong relationships, both in person and through virtual observations and debrief conversations
• Is open to using a variety of strategies to facilitate teacher development including but not limited to: having feedback conversations, facilitating virtual practice sessions, co-planning, facilitating student work analysis sessions, etc.
• Models habits of continuous improvement by being open to peer observations and feedback and continually improving own practice as a teacher leader
• Possesses strong organizational and time management skills
• Effectively communicates and is able to articulate beliefs and thoughts behind actions, decisions and ideas for both students and teacher participants
• Comfort using technology, including video conference call platforms
• Willing to invest in the success of the program and its teacher participants to teach in a new setting (Bilingual or Secondary Students with Disabilities) and ensuring that teacher participants reach ambitious goals with their students.
HIRING OFFER IS CONTINGENT ON DEMONSTRATED PROFICIENCY IN THE SELECTION MODEL AND INTERVIEW PROCESS AT THE CONCLUSION OF TRAINING, AS DETERMINED BY NYC STEP STAFF. THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF ROLES FOR THIS POSTING.
- Complete training prior to taking on role and participate in ongoing monthly training
- Attend monthly facilitator development sessions throughout the school year
Communication and Implementation
- Communicate regularly, openly and collaboratively with the program staff in a timely way about STEP teacher's program participation
- Communicate with and accept feedback from program staff about ways in which you are supporting the teacher participant and your school in achieving program priorities and goals
- Collect data and participate in data analysis to support program goals
- Support participant success by leveraging a variety of strategies to facilitate teacher development including but not limited to:
- Regularly engaging in virtual cycles that support participant development through:
- Utilizing evidence to identify and prioritize highest leverage support to teacher participants that will lead to student growth
- Facilitating regular feedback conversations that provide teacher participants with specific, actionable feedback on instructional practice and design
- Utilizing program tools and program common language in facilitating feedback and ongoing development opportunities to teacher participants
- Consistently reflecting on, and facilitating teacher participant reflection on, student learning and engagement to support teacher participant in identifying areas for growth in practice
- Facilitating virtual practice sessions, co-planning, facilitating student work analysis sessions, etc., e.g.:
- Supporting teacher participants in designing lessons that provide all students with access to rigorous curriculum aligned to the New York State Learning Standards and the student population specific vision for excellent instruction (knowledge, skills, and mindsets required as defined by the NYC DOE and the NYC STEP program) through co-planning, providing feedback on plans, and sharing of resources
- Facilitating individual practice and planning support sessions to support teacher participant’s acquisition and improvement of key instructional skills
- Building trust and investment by:
- Modeling habits of continuous improvement by being open to classroom visits and feedback and continually improving own practice
- Employing principles of adult learning appropriate for working with colleagues in school
- Investing adult learners in ambitious goals for their own growth and development
Selectors will be evaluated based on his/her proficiency in the above criteria, as determined by the NYC STEP team.
- Staff Development (TN) Hours up to, but not limited to:
- Approximately 12-24 hours of training prior to taking on role. Candidates will be compensated for all training that takes place prior to hire.
- Approximately 3 hours per month of ongoing training (each month, from September 2020 through June 2021).
- Per Session (TR) Hours up to, but not limited to:
- Approximately 2-6 hours per month through the duration of the program (September 2020 through June 2021).
ADDITIONAL HOURS GRANTED UPON THE APPROVAL OF THE HIRING MANAGER.
Per Session rates as per the relevant union/organization of the advertised title (UFT, CSA, DC-37 - Collective Bargaining Agreement). Contingent Upon Funding Availability.
- Send To apply, please complete the NYC STEP Facilitator Interest Form.
- NYC STEP Facilitators will be evaluated based on his/her proficiency in the above criteria, as determined by program staff.
- If you have any questions about this activity, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE ABOVE CIRCULAR NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION
If you have any questions about this activity, please e-mail email@example.com.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.