SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 24 BIL SPAN 2019 2020
- Posted Date: Jul 19, 2019 Deadline: Aug 7, 2020
New York United StatesBRONX
(SUBJECT TO FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
District Assigned Bilingual (Spanish) School Psychologists – Hard to Staff Differential Positions
Bilingual (Spanish) School Psychologistsprovide services as district-based assessment team clinicians serving school-age students in both community schools and D75 school sites. The primary responsibility of school psychologists will be the professional duties attendant to the evaluation of students referred for a special education evaluation including: conducting psycho-educational assessments or other appropriate assessments, chairing IEP meetings, drafting IEPs, drafting IEP goals and conference reports, conducting structured observations and drafting behavior intervention plans.
Bilingual school psychologists in this position will receive a salary differential of $7,200 in addition to their current base salary. The Hard to Staff Salary Differential for these positions is created pursuant to the Bronx Collaborative Schools plan model set forth in the Collective bargaining agreement between the United Federation of Teachers and the New York City Department of Education and as such will be in effect until June 30, 2022 unless the parties agree to continue the differential. The Hard to Staff Differential will be paid out as per the collective bargaining agreement. For more information on the specifics of the (Bronx) plan, potential schools, please visit http://teachnyc.net/about-our-schools/the-bronx-plan. Please note that assignments will not be limited to Bronx Plan schools that are included in this advertisement. School Psychologists may be assigned to additional high need schools in the district at the discretion of the district supervisor.
Up to one position per district in two Bronx geographic districts, serving multiple schools across one geographic school district.
- New York State Certification in School Psychology
- New York State Bilingual Extension in Spanish
- If a current DOE employee, satisfactory rating(s) within the last two years
- Experience evaluating the emotional, social, cognitive and educational performance of students
- Knowledge of bilingual assessment best practices and tools
- Ability to communicate effectively with families, agencies, and school personnel
- Knowledge of the continuum of services and special education process, regulations of the NYSED Commissioner, regulations of the NYCDOE Chancellor
- Knowledge of due process rights
After interviewing applicants that meet the selection criteria above, the following applicants will be considered:
- Regularly appointed and tenured
- Regularly appointed and not tenured
- New applicants to the New York City Department of Education
- Evaluate students in the areas of cognitive, social, emotional and educational competencies
- Ensure effective management of the evaluation process
- Administer timely psycho-educational assessments
- Conduct Classroom Observations
- Determine the need for psychological evaluation
- Develop IEPs
- Participate in CSE reviews
- Serve as a resource to school staff and families
- Serve on school-level committees
- Consult with school staff, parents, and students regarding behavioral management issues and concerns.
- Case management
- As often as time allows, school psychologists are expected to be involved in intervention and prevention activities appropriate to their certification
- As often as time allows, school psychologists provide direct services to both general education and special education students.
- As often as time allows, school psychologists may assist in the completion of Functional Behavioral Assessments and Behavior Intervention Plans for students with challenging behaviors
- As often as time allows, school psychologists serve on the Manifestation Determination Review for suspended students
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor of Psychologists and Principal, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement
As per collective Bargaining Agreement
- As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Adequate travel time will be incorporated into daily work schedule as the position will be itinerant and travel within the district will be required.
Send resume, cover letter, a copy of license and districts of preference to:
Arwina Vallejo, Executive Director of School Based Evaluations and Family Engagement
AUGUST 07, 2019 OR UNTIL FILLED
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.