- Posted Date: Apr 18, 2019 Deadline: Dec 31, 2019
69-01 34 Avenue, Queens, New York United StatesP.S. 398 Q
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
We are seeking creative, compassionate, dedicated founding educators whom are committed to the new school initiative in the diverse community of Jackson Heights, Queens.
The mission of P.S. 398 Queens is to partner with parents and the members in our community to prepare our diverse population of students to become lifelong learners in a nurturing, and safe environment with high expectations developing independent, responsible, confident, and compassionate citizens in today’s global society.
At P.S. 398, Queens our students learn in a nurturing environment to develop their own academic and artistic abilities. Our students respect diversity and understand that they each have strengths that empower them to strive in the real world and achieve life goals. Students take intellectual risks through a project-based approach to learning that encourages students to take leadership in their learning, think critically, develop creativity and collaborate daily. Students make connections between every day classroom experiences that prepare them to be successful in the ever-changing world of the twenty-first century.
We are seeking applicants who are passionate in supporting our school community through a shared belief of our core values. Prospective secretaries should exhibit a demeanor that is friendly, warm and welcoming, solutions oriented, and supportive to families and visitors. Candidates must have a strong commitment to equity in education, growth mindset principals, and an enthusiasm to the education of the whole child. Candidates should model and facilitate core values with our students, parents, and our surrounding community. Candidates must be committed to working cooperatively and sharing their talents and taking initiative in the development of our school.
A five - day summer planning institute will offer an essential opportunity for staff to be involved in developing the school’s culture and instructional program.
Additionally, the school will offer opportunities for secretaries to participate in:
- After school and/or Saturday tutoring, enrichment, sports, arts, and family programs
- In-house school committees and/or special programs.
Advance notice of dates will be supplied, and those who participate will be compensated according to the terms of the UFT contract. Staff participation in these activities is voluntary, although strongly encouraged, as they are very important to the development of the school.
Possession of regular New York City School Secretary License, with satisfactory ratings and attendance
Duties and Responsibilities
Because roles in small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the school’s mission and core beliefs and to become involved in these essential aspects:
- Performing School Secretary tasks in support of the learning community and focus of the school.
- Assisting Principal with clerical tasks such as updating calendar, making appointments, sending and receiving correspondence.
- Performing all functions of human services support, as they pertain to the role of school secretary, including payroll and employment processing.
- Performing all functions of pupil enrollment services, including but not limited to registration, transfers, maintaining required documentation of all enrolled students
- Performing pupil accounting, payroll, purchasing and supply duties using DOE systems and Microsoft applications
- Collaborating with all members of the main office staff to serve the school community
- Engaging and interacting with staff, parents, students, and the school community in a positive manner
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities
- Ability to efficiently use FAMIS, Fastrack, ATS, EIS and other DOE purchasing protocols.
- Ability to process school-wide payroll.
- Ability to maintain student records and schedules and coordinate all purchases of textbooks, equipment, and supplies.
- Ability and/or willingness to utilize office equipment and software such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, Outlook) and Google Apps
- Ability and/or willingness to learn advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and accounting and inventory programs.
- Ability to implement the appropriate procedures regarding student and employee records in keeping with DOE regulations.
- Knowledge of the DOE policies regarding student and employee records.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with colleagues, parents, students, and the community.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multifaceted new school environment, including the ability to multi-task
In addition to the cover letter, resume, and interview, applicants must present three references including, if possible, one from a current supervisor. Other references might include a colleague with whom the applicant has collaborated, and/or a professional organization or staff development representative.
Work Schedule and Salary
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement.
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.