Secretary for 30Q417
- Posted Date: Apr 20, 2022
- School Name: 30Q417
- District: 30
- School Site: 28-01 41st Avenue, Queens, NY 11101
- Send Cover Letter and Resume to: Email HireQ417@gmail.com
30Q417 is an open, welcoming, and culturally affirming community using robotics and challenge-based learning to empower students with the mindsets and skills to solve problems that matter. Our graduates will engage in joyful and meaningful learning, think deeply and critically, and grow emotionally and socially.
30Q417 is founded in collaboration with NYC FIRST. Supported by NYC FIRST’s extensive experience, the school’s core components will include robotics, advisory and Capstone projects and new curricula within Humanities and STEM that integrate design thinking and challenge-based learning. Students will be engaged in all aspects of the school including the evaluation of courses, the design of new offerings, and the outfitting of the space. Students and staff will collaborate with the NYC FIRST team and travel weekly to the NYC FIRST STEM Center at Cornell Tech, on Roosevelt Island.
Our core values are Joy, Integrity, Courage, Empathy, Meaning-Making, Connectedness, and Kindness.
Our students are:
- Curious people who are knowledgeable about the world.
- Engaged participants who are key to creating a more just and functional democracy.
- Sense makers who deal with conflicting knowledge.
- Generative thinkers reframe, imagine, and see problems from different perspectives.
- Essential co-creators because of what they bring and how they show up.
- Inventors of their own learning paths, careers, and lives.
Instructional Philosophy: We believe that children learn best when teaching and learning is
- Student-focused and personal
- Rooted in Design
A seven-day summer planning institute will offer an essential opportunity for staff to be involved in developing the school’s culture and instructional program.
Because we believe that all staff members play an important role in the education of our students, the school will offer opportunities for secretaries to participate in the school community in a variety of ways:
- In-house school committees and/or special programs.
Advance notice of dates will be supplied, and those who participate will be compensated according to the terms of the UFT contract. Staff participation in these activities is voluntary, although strongly encouraged, as they are very important to the development of the school.
Possession of regular New York City School Secretary License, with satisfactory ratings and attendance
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because roles in small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the school’s mission and core beliefs and to become involved in these essential aspects:
- Performing School Secretary tasks in support of the learning community and focus of the school.
- Assisting Principal with clerical tasks such as updating calendar, making appointments, sending and receiving correspondence.
- Performing all functions of human services support, as they pertain to the role of school secretary, including payroll and employment processing.
- Performing all functions of pupil enrollment services, including but not limited to registration, transfers, maintaining required documentation of all enrolled students
- Performing pupil accounting, payroll, purchasing and supply duties using DOE systems and Microsoft applications
- Collaborating with all members of the main office staff to serve the school community
- Engaging and interacting with staff, parents, students, and the school community in a positive manner
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities
- Ability to efficiently use FAMIS, Fastrack, ATS, EIS, and other DOE purchasing protocols.
- Ability to process school-wide payroll.
- Ability to maintain student records and schedules and coordinate all purchases of textbooks, equipment, and supplies.
- Ability and/or willingness to utilize office equipment and software such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, Outlook) and Google Apps
- Ability to implement the appropriate procedures regarding student and employee records in keeping with DOE regulations.
- Strong organizational skills to maintain payroll, purchasing, and inventory records.
- Knowledge of the DOE policies regarding student and employee records.
- Willingness to learn new skills and participate in professional development activities.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with colleagues, parents, students, and the community.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multifaceted new school environment, including the ability to multi-task
In addition to the cover letter, resume, and interview, applicants must present three references including, if possible, one from a current supervisor. Other references might include a colleague with whom the applicant has collaborated, and/or a professional organization or staff development representative.
WORK SCHEDULE & SALARY
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender(sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction(except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above - noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non - Discrimination Policy.
As of August 2, 2021, all NYC Department of Education new hires (who are not currently employees of the City of New York) must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to beginning their employment unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Please visit the New Employees page for details regarding Executive Order 75.