TEACHER ASSIGNED VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 22 (iTINERANT SPEECH IMPROVEMENT TEACHER)
- Posted Date: Sep 12, 2018 Deadline: Oct 11, 2018
65 Court Street, Brooklyn, New York United StatesMultiple locations
(SUBJECT TO FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
Itinerant Speech Improvement Teacher of Pre-K and School-Age
Itinerant Teacher of Speech Improvement positions. Assignments may include provision of service to preschool and school-age students and will be itinerant, where possible in contiguous districts, but in all cases, one borough only. This position will have a focus on provision of Pre- K services. Positions available in all boroughs. The positions report to The Office of Related Services and are assigned primarily to DoE Pre- K Center(s). Assignment subject to change, within the same borough, dependent on caseload and student enrollment.
- Current NYC DOE Licensed, appointed and tenured Teacher of Speech Improvement
- Minimum three (3) years of experience providing Speech services in a NYC school-based setting
- Satisfactory ratings required for last three school years
- Experience in, and knowledge of, providing speech services to preschool and school-age students, with a strong focus on the development of language, early literacy, and social skills.
- Ability to articulate relationship between speech and language skills and academic outcomes, quality IEP development.
- Ability to collaborate with families regarding provision of services to pre-K students.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate with School IEP team and CSE team,(including parents) and other disciplines as necessary.
- Satisfactory experience in completing dynamic assessments.
- Willingness to develop and present professional development and parent training opportunities.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Proficiency in the use of NYC DOE systems related to attendance and IEPs.
Reporting to designated Supervisor of Speech Services, the speech teacher assigned will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Priority given to Pre K assignments and services.Any school-age assignment(s) dependent on provider caseload availability.
- Provide speech and language services to multiple schools within a district or borough.
- Provide speech and language services in accordance with IEP mandates and as indicated by the DOE Speech Standards of Practice to School-Age and Pre-K students in private school (NYCEECs – New York City Early Education Centers)) and UPK settings.
- Liaise with BFSC and CSE field personnel regarding provision of service to students.
- Integrate provision of Speech and Language Services into the student’s classroom and natural learning environment.
- Conduct initial assessments as needed, if the caseload allows.
- Consult with school and supervisory staff on matters relating to Speech and Language Therapy, including instruction on therapeutic intervention, methodology, and developing individual goals and objectives for students as per IEP.
- Participate in multidisciplinary and parent conferences to discuss student progress and provide recommendations for service delivery in the least restrictive environment.
- Collaborate on development of quality IEPs.
- Participate in implementation and usage of IEP-recommended Assistive Technology or classroom-based instructional technology (professional development provided as necessary)
- Complete Speech and Language evaluations and progress reports.
- Outreach to parents/guardians with a focus on providing recommendations to enhance students’ functional ability and continued development in both school and home.
- Train classroom staff, including paraprofessionals, regarding student-specific Speech and Language Therapy interventions as well classroom-based interventions.
- Consult with school personnel on tiered classroom supports.
- Participate in school IEP Team, CSE and Impartial Hearing meetings as necessary.
- Maintain daily attendance and anecdotal records for students receiving Speech and Language Therapy, as directed by the DOE.
- Maintain all related information in specified DOE information systems.
- Other related duties consistent with this posting
As per UFT collective Bargaining Agreement
- 8:00am-4:00pm or 8:30am-4:30pm, depending on site assignment schedule
- Adequate travel time will be incorporated into daily work schedule
- The work year of a teacher assigned whose work is preponderantly connected with school with school year instructional programs, their staff shall be the same work year as a day school teacher and in addition the teacher assigned may be required to serve a week during the winter recess, spring recess or the summer vacation period.
Send resume, cover letter, and borough(s) of preference to prekspeechteacher@NYCDOE.onmicrosoft.com no later than October 11, 2018
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 1102, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO