TEACHER ASSIGNED VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 22 ITINERANT SPEECH IMPROVEMENT TEACHER 2018 2019 REPOSTED
- Posted Date: Dec 19, 2018 Deadline: Jan 25, 2019
United StatesVARIOUS LOCATIONS
(SUBJECT TO BUDGET AVAILABILITY
12:1:2 Program Itinerant Speech Teacher- Pre K
Itinerant Speech Improvement Teacher of Pre-K and School Age
This position will have a focus on provision of Pre-K services and may include 12:1:2 programs and school-age services.
12:1:2 Program / Itinerant Teacher of Speech Improvement positions (6) Assignments may include provision of service to preschool and school-age students and will be itinerant, where possible in contiguous districts, but in all cases, one borough only. Positions available in Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn. The positions report to The Office of Related Services and are assigned primarily to D.O.E. Pre K Center(s). Assignment subject to change, within the same borough, dependent on caseload and student enrollment.
- Current New York State license to practice Speech and Language Therapy
- Early Childhood experience
- Experience in, and knowledge of, providing speech-language services to preschool and school age students, with a strong focus on the development of language, early literacy, and social skills.
- Ability to articulate relationship between speech and language skills and academic outcomes, quality IEP development.
- Ability to collaborate with families regarding provision of services to pre-K and school age students.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate with School IEP team and CSE team, (including parents) and other disciplines as necessary.
- Satisfactory experience in completing speech and language assessments.
- Willingness to develop and present professional development and parent training events.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Proficiency in the use of NYC DOE systems related to attendance and IEPs.
Reporting to designated Supervisor of Speech Improvement and providing speech services at the assigned Pre K Center(s), the speech teacher will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Priority given to Pre K Center assignments and services primarily in the 12:1:2 settings.Provide speech and language services to the designated Pre K center with 12:1:2 programs and additional sites within the district or borough.
- Provide speech and language services in accordance with IEP.
- Liaise with FSCs, Early Childhood team and CSE field personnel regarding provision of service to students.
- Integrate provision of Speech and Language Services into the student’s classroom and natural learning environment.
- Conduct initial assessments as needed, if the caseload allows.
- Consult with school and supervisory staff on matters relating to Speech and Language Therapy, including instruction on therapeutic intervention, methodology, and developing individual goals and objectives for students as per IEP.
- Participate in multidisciplinary and parent conferences to discuss student progress and provide recommendations for service delivery in the least restrictive environment.
- Collaborate on development of quality IEPs.
- Participate in implementation and usage of IEP-recommended Assistive Technology or classroom-based instructional technology (professional development provided as necessary).
- Complete Speech and Language evaluations and progress reports.
- Outreach to parents/guardians with a focus on providing recommendations to enhance students’ functional ability and continued development in both school and home.
- Train classroom staff, including paraprofessionals, regarding student-specific Speech and Language Therapy interventions as well as classroom-based interventions.
- Consult with school personnel on tiered classroom supports.
- Participate in school IEP Team, CSE and Impartial Hearing meetings as necessary.
- Maintain daily attendance and anecdotal records for students receiving Speech and Language Therapy, as directed by the DOE.
- Maintain all related information in specified DOE information systems.
- Other related duties consistent with this posting.
As per collective Bargaining Agreement
- As per Collective Bargaining Agreement, depending on site assignment schedule
- Adequate travel time will be incorporated into daily work schedule
Send resume, cover letter, and borough(s) of preference to prekspeechteacher@NYCDOE.onmicrosoft.com
no later than January 25, 2019
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.