TEACHER ASSIGNED VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 25 LITERACY SPECIALIST 2019 2020
- Posted Date: Aug 27, 2019 Deadline: Sep 27, 2019
New York United StatesMULTIPLE LOCATION THROUGHT OUT THE CITY
(SUBJECT TO BUDGET AVAILABILITY)
New York City Regional Partnership Center (NYC RPC)
(9) Teacher Assigned A- Literacy Specialist
INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY
(2) Bronx, (2) Brooklyn, (2) Manhattan, (2) Queens, (1) Staten Island
Location can be reassigned as needed
- NYCDOE licensed, appointed, tenured Special Education teacher with a minimum of 5 years experience
- Master’s degree in special education or Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education or higher, and experience providing professional development and/or technical assistance.
- Minimum of five (5) years Effective, Highly Effective, and/or Satisfactory rating teaching students with disabilities.
- Experience designing, delivering, and evaluating the impact of professional development on topics related to the understanding of and acquisition of literacy skills within multi-tiered systems of support
- Knowledge of New York State laws and regulations relating to the provision of instruction in literacy for students with disabilities.
- Knowledge of the 5 Pillars of Reading
- Knowledge of and experience in implementing Explicit Instruction
- Knowledge of Multi-tiered Systems of Support.
- Knowledge of Implementation Science
- Knowledge of Plan-Do-Study-Act cycles for improvement in literacy instruction
- Knowledge of literacy assessments and evidence based interventions
- Knowledge of Specially Designed Instruction as it relates to literacy instruction
- Experience coaching teachers in implementing evidence based literacy interventions
- Evidence of data based interventions for improved outcomes for Students with Disabilities
- Evidence of building strong relationships with colleagues, families, and community members.
- Training or certification in Orton Gillingham, WIlson Reading System, SPIRE, REWARDS, Linda Mood Bell
- Use of evidence based literacy assessments
- Ability to identify skill gaps in literacy and plan for intervention
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the New York City Regional Partnership Center’s (NYC RPC) Systems Change Facilitator (SCF), the NYC RPC Literacy Specialist will:
- Provide regional trainings and targeted professional development and technical assistance in evidence-based practices for literacy instruction to any interested party such as families, school/district staff, community groups, etc.
- Provide technical assistance and support around literacy instruction to identified schools/districts inclusive of state identified non-district schools and state supported preschools
- Work in collaboration with the Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Centers to provide capacity building focused on family and community engagement around literacy instruction.
- Engage in the regional planning process outlined by NYSED’s Partnership Implementation Team (PIT).
- Participate in trainings and planning meetings with NYSED’s Technical Assistance Partnerships (TAPs) including:
- A yearly 2-day Statewide meeting in Albany.
- Monthly webinars established by the PIT.
- Weekly online learning opportunities, as needed.
- Twenty (20) hours of professional development upon hire, as determined by a needs assessment.
- Three (3), 2-day meetings annually in the region for the purposes of fidelity coaching, professional development, problem-solving, observations, feedback, and direct support from the TAPs.
- Utilize tools and training materials developed and/or reviewed by the TAPs.
- Provide information and resources uploaded to the website for the Partnership that could include, but is not limited to: upcoming training dates, contact information for local resources, special events or announcements.
- Submit training data to the TAP for Data for the purposes of evaluating the effectiveness of the Partnership.
- Other duties as assigned
As per UFT Collective Bargaining Agreement.
As per UFT Collective Bargaining Agreement for Teacher Assigned:
- 10-Month, September-June
- Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm
- 5 additional work days before or after the 10-month school year
Please apply in writing expressing your interest and qualifications. Please include your resume, cover-letter, teaching credentials, and file number by September 24, 2019, to:
Abigail Lovett: (ALovett2@schools.nyc.gov)
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.