TEACHER VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 23 BIL SPAN SPEECH IMPROVEMENT 2019 2020
- Posted Date: Jul 19, 2019 Deadline: Aug 7, 2020
New York United StatesBRONX
(SUBJECT TO FUNDING AVAILABILITY)
POSITION: Itinerant Bilingual (Spanish) Teacher of Speech Improvement – Hard to Staff Differential Positions
Bilingual (Spanish) Teacher of Speech Improvement providing IEP recommended speech services to preschool and school-age students in both community schools and D75 school sites. Bilingual speech teachers in this position will receive a salary differential of $7,200 in addition to their current base salary. The Hard to Staff Differential will be paid out as per the collective bargaining agreement The Hard to Staff Salary Differential for these positions is created pursuant to the Bronx Collaborative Schools plan model set forth in the Collective bargaining agreement between the United Federation of Teachers and the New York City Department of Education and as such will be in effect until June 30, 2022 unless the parties agree to continue the differential. For more information on the specifics of the (Bronx) plan,, please visit http://teachnyc.net/about-our-schools/the-bronx-plan. Please note that assignments will not be limited to Bronx Plan schools that are included in this advertisement. Bilingual Teachers of Speech Improvement may be assigned to additional high need schools in the district at the discretion of the district supervisor.
Up to seven (7) positions in Bronx geographic districts.Assignments may include provision of service to preschool, school-age students, completion of bilingual speech and language assessments, and will take place in multiple schools within the Bronx. Assignments will be itinerant.
- Current NYC DOE Licensed and appointed Teacher of Speech Improvement with NYS certified bilingual extension in Spanish
- Satisfactory rating(s) within the last two years
- Bilingual service provision experience preferred
- Experience in, and knowledge of, providing bilingual speech-language services to preschool and school age students.
- Experience in, and knowledge of a variety of standardized and non-standardized speech assessments, including bilingual assessments.
- Experience in the use of dynamic assessments and the ability to synthesize bilingual assessment outcomes to recommend school-based speech and language recommendations as appropriate
- Ability to articulate relationship between speech and language skills and academic outcomes, quality IEP development.
- Ability to collaborate with families regarding provision of services to pre-K and school age students.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate with School IEP team and CSE team, (including parents) and other disciplines as necessary.
- Satisfactory experience in completing speech and language assessments.
- Willingness to develop and present professional development and parent training events.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Proficiency in the use of NYC DOE systems related to attendance and IEPs.
- Provide bilingual speech and language services in accordance with IEP.
- Integrate provision of Speech and Language Services into the student’s classroom and natural learning environment.
- Conduct initial assessments as needed, if the caseload allows.
- Consult with school and supervisory staff on matters relating to Speech and Language Therapy, including instruction on therapeutic intervention, methodology, and developing individual goals and objectives for students as per IEP.
- Participate in multidisciplinary and parent conferences to discuss student progress and provide recommendations for service delivery in the least restrictive environment.
- Collaborate on development of quality IEPs.
- Participate in implementation and usage of IEP-recommended Assistive Technology or classroom-based instructional technology (professional development provided as necessary).
- .Outreach to parents/guardians with a focus on providing recommendations to enhance students’ functional ability and continued development in both school and home.
- Train classroom staff, including paraprofessionals, regarding student-specific Speech and Language Therapy interventions as well as classroom-based interventions.
- Consult with school personnel on tiered classroom supports.
- Participate in school IEP Team, CSE and Impartial Hearing meetings as necessary.
- Maintain daily attendance and anecdotal records for students receiving Speech and Language Therapy, as directed by the DOE.
- Maintain all related information in specified DOE information systems.
- Other related duties consistent with this posting.
As per collective Bargaining Agreement
- As per Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Adequate travel time will be incorporated into daily work schedule as the position will be itinerant.
Send resume, cover letter, and districts of preference to BilingualSpeechBx@schools.nyc.gov
AUGUST 7, 2019 OR UNTIL FILLED
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.