TEACHER VACANCY CIRCULAR NO. 19 (CAREER AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION TEACHER 2018 2019
- Posted Date: Jul 20, 2018 Deadline: Aug 31, 2018
16-00 HAZEN STREET, QUEENS, New York United StatesEAST RIVER ACADEMY IN RIKERS ISLAND (79Q344)
(Subject to Budget Availability)
Career and Technical Education Teacher (CTE) - 1 position
Subject to funding availability, positions in the school may include, but are not limited to, the following CTE titles:
District 79 and the Department of Correction are partnering to open a Vocational Training Program for sentenced and detained young adults in Rikers Island. This program will provide pre- and post-release job readiness training, educational, and vocational courses and group counseling to males and females ages 16 to 21. The goal is to improve short and long term educational, vocational, and employment outcomes for young adults in Rikers Island. The Department of Correction will provide a 3 year grant to District 79 for the purpose of hiring and appointing four (4) CTE teachers.
Sentenced and detained young adults are housed in various facilities based on their classification level
Young adults ages 16 to 21 who have not completed high school, receive traditional educational services from morning to mid-afternoon; career and technical education is provided during afternoons and evenings.
Computer Technology Course Description (1 position):
The Digital Literacy Course will teach the basics of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Some Coding component will be taught in the course.
- Candidate must possess at least 4 (four) years of paid full time experience in the skilled trade area of interest;
- High school diploma;
- Candidates must possess the appropriate NYS certification prior to commencing employment
- Preference given to candidates who have experience working with court-involved youth;
- Preference given to candidates who have experience with a student population ages 16 to 21
- Demonstrated successful experience in collaborating with supervisors and colleagues
- Satisfactory record of attendance and punctuality
- Must be willing to work in Rikers Island
- Flexibility with modified work hours as determined by Rikers Island’s facilities and classifications in conjunction with District 79 and Department of Correction
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach 20 hour pre‐designed modules in areas listed above.
- Assess students in successful completion of modules and keep detailed records of assessments and student attendance to be used for when students transfer to other programs upon discharge.
- Maintain security of equipment at all times and work with Department of Correction officers and administrators to monitor equipment usage and inventory.
- Performs related work.
1pm to 7:50pm
As per collective bargaining agreement
Send Cover Letter and Resume to:
AUGUST 31, 2018
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (M/F/D)
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, alienage and citizenship status, age, marital status, disability, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as provided by law), sexual orientation, gender (sex), and to maintain an environment free of discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment, or retaliation as required by civil rights law. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 1102, Brooklyn, New York 11201 or refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy