The NYCDOE is hiring substitute teachers! We are looking for committed, compassionate, positive educators who are ready to make a difference for NYC students. Apply today!
On this page, you will find information about the position and how to apply.
If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher, you can apply using this form. Your application will be reviewed and you will be notified about next steps.
NYCDOE Substitute Teacher Interest Form
Substitute Teachers are used by the New York City public schools, on an as-needed basis, to cover the classroom in the absence of the regular (full-time) Teachers. The primary role of a Substitute Teacher is to continue student learning along the continuum, established by the absent full-time teacher. The responsibilities of the Substitute Teacher in the classroom may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Planning lessons
- Teaching students
- Managing the classroom
- Performing administrative tasks
- Promoting positive student behavior
- Ensuring the safety and security of the students
Pay Rate and Representation
Substitute Teachers are paid at the per diem contractual rate of $193.47 (as of May 14, 2020). This is for the actual days they have worked. They do not receive any benefits.
Substitute Teacher Financial Incentive
Substitute teachers who work in person during the period of September 29 to October 30 are eligible to receive a financial incentive in addition to the contractual rate of $193.47 per day:
- $100 per day for up to five days of in person substitute service for a total of up to $500.
- An additional $500 for a total of 15 or more days in person during this period for a total of $1,000.
Substitute Teachers are represented by the United Federation of Teachers (UFT).
The minimum eligibility requirements to apply for a Substitute Teacher position are the following:
- Online nomination by a school Principal (or by the DOE central office, via the online application form)
- A Bachelor's Degree
- Proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking the English language
- Authorization to work in the United States
Retired Teacher Nominations for Substitute Positions
See this information on the process for retired teachers interested in becoming per diem substitute teachers.