COVID-19 Updates to Home Schooling

General Questions

Is the Office of Home Schooling open?

In response to the COVID-19 public health emergency, New York City Department of Education school buildings and central offices are currently closed until further notice. Our staff is working remotely during this time.

May I still register for home schooling?

Yes. Parents and guardians can commence home schooling at any time by providing a Letter of Intent to home school. To register, send an email to with your child’s name, address, and date of birth along with a parent/guardian name and phone number. Let us know when you plan to begin home schooling your child or children.

What is the difference between Full Time Remote Learning and Home School?

See below for a comparison of DOE Full-Time Remote Learning and Home School Learning for School Year 2020-21


Full-Time Remote Learning Experience

Home Schooling


or method of instruction

Fully remote instruction at home is provided by public school teachers.

Students participate in a regular schedule of age-appropriate, standards-based remote learning from home every day.

Instruction is provided by the parent/guardian (or instructor selected by parent/guardian) directly.

Parent selects curriculum and materials; submits Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) for review and approval

Interaction with teacher

Students will have live interaction with teachers every day. The amount will vary by grade, depending on what is developmentally appropriate.

Only students enrolled in a DOE school are eligible for remote learning. *

Technology used

Students will use a DOE-approved online platform for lessons and submission of work. Students will experience whole class, small group and/or individualized instruction in an online environment.

Parents/Guardians are responsible for technology; laptops/iPads are not available to home schooled students from the DOE. Parents are responsible for technology and curriculum.

Access to instructional resources

Students will be able to access video-recorded lessons, assignments, and tasks.

Students will not be able to access DOE schools’ video-recorded lessons, assignments, and tasks.

Engagement and assessment

Teachers will regularly engage students and families to check student work, provide timely feedback, and adjust instruction as necessary, via remote learning platforms, calls, emails, video chats, etc. 

Students and families have access to grades and report cards

Parents/Guardians submit four quarterly reports throughout the year, along with an annual assessment

Home schooled students and families maintain their own records; transcripts and report cards are not available for home schooled students.


Families are asked to indicate their preference between blended learning and 100% remote learning by August 7 at 

Families can commence home schooling at any point in the school year, not just July 1 with a Letter of Intent to that includes parent and child name, date of birth and home address. Students will be discharged from their current DOE or charter school.

Option to change instructional experience

Families who chose full-time remote learning will be able to opt back into in-person instruction during designated timeframes throughout the school year.

Families can decide to end home schooling and return to the a school at any time by contacting the local school or a family welcome center.

Graduation option and credit accumulation


Home Schooled students do not earn high school credits and are not eligible to earn a high school diploma. High school equivalency options including the TASC are available.

* If your child attends a charter school, please reach out to the school directly to discuss remote learning options.

Home Instruction schools, which is distinct from home schooling, are governed by Chancellor’s Regulation A-170

How can I contact your office? Can I drop off forms in person?

We are currently unable to receive visitors at 333 7th Avenue and the office telephones are unattended because staff are working remotely. Please do not call or send written correspondence to our office by postal mail. Instead, please email all forms, documents, and questions to

Can I take a picture of a form or document and send it in to you?

Yes. We are able to accept submissions in Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, as well as email text or digital photos taken with your smartphone. If you submit a document via Google Docs, please ensure the document is not password protected. For Apple Mac users, please export files created in Pages into Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format. You may also simply type submissions directly into the body of an email.

I have a question and I want to speak to someone. How can I get in contact with the office?

If you prefer to speak on the phone, send an email to that includes your name and a contact telephone number where you can be reached directly. Please note that you may receive a call from someone in our office via an “unknown” number.

Do I still have to submit an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) and Quarterly Reports?

Yes. You should submit Quarterly Reports as indicated on the child’s approved IHIP.

If I submit a written narrative, do I still have to submit the fourth quarter report?

Yes. Submission of an annual assessment (including a written narrative) is separate from the fourth Quarterly Report.

Are home schooled students eligible to be loaned a laptop or participate in remote learning?

No. Only students enrolled in a public district school are eligible

Are home schooled students able to return to district schools?

Yes. Parents and guardians should contact their nearest Family Welcome Center for assistance. The Family Welcome Center office locations are similarly closed, but their staff is available for support via email. Please note that vaccine regulations are still in effect and children must meet NYC immunization requirements.

Where can I find forms and templates? Do I have to use the templates, or can I use my own?

Visit our web page scroll to the bottom for forms and templates in multiple languages. You are not required to use these forms. You may use your own or a form generated by an online program.

Annual Assessment Update

Are New York State tests cancelled for this school year?

The New York State Education Department (NYSED) and the Board of Regents have cancelled the June 2020 Regents along with the previously announced cancellation of 3 – 8 ELA and Math. See memos from NYSED below:

I was planning to have my child sit for a State test as an annual assessment in the public schools. What are my options now?

On April 6, 2020, the New York State Education Department (NYSED) adopted emergency regulations which include a temporary change to Commissioner’s Regulation Part 100.10 (CR Part 100.10) to permit parents and guardians of home schooled students in all grades (1-12) to use a written narrative as an alternative form of evaluation for the 2019-20 school year. Public schools will not administer tests to meet annual assessments requirements for the 2019-20 school year.

What if I used a written narrative last year?

If a written narrative was submitted in the previous school year, you may again use a written narrative for the current school year.

Who can prepare a written narrative for a student?

Parents, at their discretion, may prepare the written narrative or determine who prepares the written narrative. For details see NYSED CR Part 100.10 (h)(2)(iii)

Can I still administer an achievement test to my child? If so, which ones?

Yes. Students in all grades (1-12) may meet the annual assessment requirement with a commercially published norm-referenced achievement exam. See below for a list of tests, available from multiple vendors:

  • Iowa Assessments (formerly Iowa Test of Basic Skills)
  • Stanford Achievement Test Series (formerly Stanford Test of Basic Skills)
  • Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills (now known as TerraNova® Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills (CTBS) Plus Edition for grades K-12) 
  • California Achievement Test 
  • P.A.S.S. (Personalized Assessment of Student Success) Test
  • Metropolitan Achievement Test

Are there other tests available other than the ones above?


Who can administer an achievement test?

Parents and/or individuals listed on the Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) may purchase, administer, and score achievement tests. For additional options see NYSED CR Part 100.10 (h)(1)(iii)

When is the annual assessment due?

Please submit assessment results or the written narrative to along with your fourth Quarterly Report on or before June 30, 2020.

Are there any other changes to NYSED Commissioner’s Regulation (CR) Part 100.10? 

At this time there are no other amendments to NYSED CR Part 100.10. Note some of the changes to Part 100.10 are only applicable for the 2019-20 school year and may not apply in following years.

Where can I find a copy of the State regulations on home schooling?

NYSED CR Part 100.10: and the accompanying Q&A for Part 100.10:

Back to Top