Special Education and Remote Learning 

Resources for Supporting Children at Home

In-Person Related Services

Which students may receive in-person related services at a DOE school site over the summer?

Students with IEPs recommending speech, occupational or physical therapy for July and August, may receive those services in-person at selected DOE school sites (see below for the list). 

How will I be notified?

If your child has an IEP recommending speech, occupational or physical therapy for July and August, you should receive notification about those services by the week of July 6. This includes a unique survey code that allows you to express your preference for teletherapy or in-person services. If your child has an IEP recommending speech, occupational or physical therapy for July and August, and you haven't received this letter, please email us at specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov or call 311.

Where will services be provided?

We are planning for services at the sites listed below. Families can use the online survey to make a first and second choice of site. We will accommodate your first choice to the greatest extent possible. If you need assistance with the survey (including if you need language support), please contact specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov or call 311. 

  • Bronx
    • 1501 JEROME AVENUE (Mount Eden Children's Academy)
    • 2385 OLINVILLE AVENUE (PS 96 Richard Rodgers)
  • Brooklyn
    • 713 CATON AVENUE, PS/IS 437 (MS 839)
    • 1014 LAFAYETTE AVENUE (PS 26 New)
    • 3301 QUENTIN ROAD (PS 222 Katherine R. Snyder)
  • Manhattan
    • 433 EAST 100 STREET (Central Park East II)
    • 442 EAST HOUSTON STREET (PS 188/196)
    • 300 WEST 61st STREET (The Riverside School for Makers and Artists)
  • Queens
    • 54-25 SKILLMAN AVENUE (PS 011 Kathryn Phelan)
    • 88-08 164TH STREET (PS/IS 314)
  • Staten Island
    • 1050 TARGEE STREET (PS/IS 48 William G. Wilcox School)
    • 250 KRAMER AVENUE (PS 56 The Louis Desario School)

Will transportation be available?

Because these related service sessions are by appointment only, school bus service will not be provided. Families will have access to MetroCards or travel reimbursement, as needed. 

Can my child's services be provided in person, in my home or at a clinic?

As of July 13, 2020, related services can be provided in-person by contracted or independent providers. Families interested in in-person related services should contact their provider, school, Committee on Special Education, or write to specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov. For more information please see In—Person Services and Assessments by non-DOE Providers.

In-Person Services and Assessments by non-DOE Providers

As of July 13, 2020, certain special education services and assessments can be provided in-person by contracted or independent providers, as described below. Remote services and assessments remain available and are preferred at this time. If you would like your child to be assessed or receive services in-person, you will be asked to provide consent.

Related Services

Related services provided by contract and independent providers may be provided individually, or, if your child is recommended for group services, in a group of 2; no larger groupings for in-person services are allowed until further notice. 

Independent Special Education Teacher Support Services (SETSS)

At your request, SETSS by an independent (non-DOE) provider may be provided in-person. SETSS may be provided individually, or, if your child is recommended for group services, in a group of 2. No larger groupings for in-person services are allowed until further notice. 

Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) Services

SEIT services may be provided in person to preschool students, as per their Individualized Education Program (IEP) recommendation. 


Contracted and independent preschool and school-age special education assessments can now be conducted in-person. A student’s evaluation may need certain assessments conducted remotely and others in-person. If your child needs more than one assessment conducted in-person, a separate consent will be needed for each. 

How do I request in-person services?

Speak to your provider or agency about the possibility of in-person services or evaluation. If you are unable to reach your provider, or if your provider is unavailable for in-person services, you can email specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov or contact your Committee on Special Education or Committee on Preschool Special Education. 

Your provider will ask you to consent to in-person services and agree to follow protocols for the health of all involved. This consent may be provided by email to the provider, either by sending the signed form, or by stating in the email that you have reviewed the consent for in-person services, agree to the conditions in the consent form, and want services to be provided in person.

What safety precautions will be in place during in-person services?

As safety is our top priority, the following protocols will be required:

  • Everyone present for the session who is 2 years of age or older must wear a face covering through the entire interaction and session. (If the provider determines that wearing a face covering interferes with the services or assessment, your child’s face covering may be removed.)
  • Everyone present will remain at least 6 feet away from where the session is taking place. The provider may be less than 6 feet away from your child during the session, if clinically necessary. If hands-on interventions are required, the provider will wear gloves during the session.
  • Everyone present for the session must wash their hands for at least 20 seconds using soap and water or use a hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol before and after the session.

Summer School

Who will receive remote instruction this summer?

  • Students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) that recommend Extended School Year (12-month) special education programs
  • Students with and without IEPs in grades 3–8 who are:
    • not promoted in June and are required to attend summer school; or
    • promoted in June but are recommended by their teacher for additional academic support in ELA and/or math over the summer.
  • Students with and without IEPs in grades 9–12 who receive a grade of Course in Progress, or who need to retake a course they have failed in a prior term.

What if my child’s IEP does not recommend a 12-month special education program but I think one is needed?

Please speak with the IEP team at your child’s school. An IEP meeting will be held to consider whether a 12-month program is appropriate.

What if my child is not recommended for summer school but I think it is needed?

Please speak with your child’s teacher and principal if you wish to discuss a recommendation to summer school.

What instruction will occur for summer school?

Instruction will be a mix of synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Students participating will have the opportunity to receive academic support in both ELA and math, daily community building and social emotional learning activities, opportunities to go on self-paced virtual field trips, regular check-ins in small groups or individually related to social emotional wellness and/or work progress. Students who participate in Alternate Assessment will continue to have access to curriculum.

In addition to the instructional program all students receive, students with IEPs who are enrolled in summer school will also receive supplemental instruction from a special education teacher focused on targeted, direct literacy instruction, to close any gaps in foundational literacy skills.

What instruction will occur for students recommended for Extended School Year (12-month IEPs)?

Students participating in Extended School Year receive their special education programs and services remotely. Instruction will be a mix of synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Students will have direct intervention in life skills and literacy using as part of their summer day. Students will also have access to the curriculum and activities for summer school. Students who participate in Alternate Assessment will continue to have access to curriculum.

Where can I find out more about Summer School?

Please visit our Summer School page which can be found here: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/enrollment/summer-school-2020

Students Age 21 or Older

Will students who are 21 or older have services extended due to COVID-19?

The DOE is planning to deliver an extension of services for students who would typically be aging out of school but are in need of continued education or support services in order to graduate with a diploma or to transition to adult programs and services.

Which students may receive services after aging out?

  • Students who are working toward a diploma and were unable to complete the credits needed this year due to the transition to remote learning due to COVID 19 but who would be able to if they were given up to one more year. You can check on credits by logging in to your NYC Schools Account. For a student with 33 or more credits, please speak with their school about whether they can continue this summer or during the 2020–21 school year in order to complete their credits and earn a high school diploma.
  • Students with IEPs who are alternately assessed and will be receiving a Skills and Achievement Commencement (SAC) Credential but who have missed instruction and/or services because of the transition to remote learning, and/or who are showing signs of regression (losing knowledge or skills that they previously had) and have not met their IEP goals. These students may be eligible to receive instruction and/or related services.
  • Students with IEPs who need to be connected with adult/postsecondary services or education but have otherwise completed school. These students can participate in transition support services, which include assistance with eligibility applications and access to post school programs and services as needed through the summer and 2020–21 school year. You can reach out to your borough TCAC or District 75 Transition Office as appropriate to access this service. Contact NYCTCACs@schools.nyc.gov or,for students in D 75 programs, D75transition@schools.nyc.gov.

If you believe your young adult may be in one of these groups but you have not heard from their school yet, please contact their school as soon as possible to discuss. If you continue to have any questions or concerns please email specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov.

What if my child has already been accepted to a college or program?

Many students with IEPs may have already been accepted to college or an adult services program. In this case an extension of education or support services is likely not needed. However, if you have any questions or concerns please contact your school, or email specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov.

Transition Support Services for Students Age 21 and Older

What are transition support services? 

Transition support services are individualized services to meet the needs of your young adult, depending on their post-school goals. This includes assisting with eligibility for adult services through OPWDD, intakes at adult service agencies, intakes at ACESS-VR and other vocational programs, and any other connections or referrals that need to be made in order to ensure that your young adult will be engaged in the appropriate adult programs and services. This can be accomplished remotely through phone calls or via an online platform, and may also be able to occur in person as needed, when deemed possible, by appointment.

Who will deliver transition support services? 

Every borough has a Transition and College Access Center (TCAC), whose contact information is as follows: 

If your young adult attends a District 75 program they can also contact: D75transition@schools.nyc.gov

When will transition support services end? 

Transition support services will end once post-school programs and services are secured or you decide that they are no longer necessary because you are well on your way to securing the appropriate adult program or services. 

Working Toward a Diploma for Students Age 21 and Older

How will my child enroll for additional courses?

Your child’s school will register them and program them appropriately depending on what courses are still needed in order to attain a high school diploma.

How do I know how many credits my child has?

You can check your young adult’s credit progress at the graduation tracker at your NYC schools account.

How long will my child have to obtain credits?

Your young adult will have until the end of 2020-2021 school year to finish obtaining credits towards graduation.

IEP Meetings and Evaluations

Will my child’s IEP meeting still take place?

Yes. IEP meetings will be conducted by phone or videoconference. Someone from your child’s IEP team will contact you to discuss how the IEP meeting will be held and to ensure you have the materials you need to participate effectively.

For any questions about an IEP meeting or placement for a student entering Kindergarten in September, please email Turning5@schools.nyc.gov or call 311.

How can I make a referral for initial evaluation or reevaluation?

You may make a referral by emailing your child’s principal or CSE, or specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov. You may also call 311 for assistance.

How will my child be evaluated remotely?

Some assessments may be conducted remotely. If an assessment for your child cannot be conducted remotely, we will work with you to arrange the assessment as soon as possible once in-person assessments resume.

While awaiting an in-person assessment, it will often be possible to hold an IEP meeting using the information currently available. Another IEP meeting will be held to consider the in-person assessment after it has been completed. 

Regional Enrichment Centers

How do I enroll my child at one of the Regional Enrichment Centers? How are students with disabilities served?

Information on Regional Enrichment Centers can be found in the enrollment section of the website.

Instruction and Special Education Remote Learning Plans

What is a Special Education Remote Learning Plan?

If your child attends a DOE school, the school should already have created a Special Education Remote Learning Plan for your child. This plan is based on your child’s IEP. It outlines how the special education and related services recommended on the IEP will be provided through remote learning, to continue to support your child’s progress toward IEP goals. If you have not received your child’s Special Education Remote Learning Plan or discussed it with your school, or if you would like to discuss the plan or request a change at any time, please reach out to your child’s teacher and/or related service provider. You can also email specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov if you need help contacting your child's school.

Can my child's Special Education Remote Learning Plan be reviewed?

Special Education Remote Learning Plans are guided by your feedback and can be changed as needed. Providers will stay in touch with you to keep track of your child’s progress. If you would like to discuss the plan or request a change at any time, please contact your child's teacher and/or related service provider. You can also email specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov if you need help contacting your child's school.

Related Services

Will my child receive their related services?

Yes. Related services will be provided via teletherapy (videoconferencing) when possible and appropriate. Some students may benefit from less screen time or from services delivered by phone. Please discuss your preferred delivery method for related services with your child’s provider. If teletherapy is not appropriate, the provider will consult with you to discuss ways to support your child though remote learning. Providers will also give you information about activities that can be done at home to reinforce their work with your child. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s related service provider.

Will my child still have access to assistive technology?

Yes. If your child’s IEP recommends assistive technology and you do not have access to the AT while at home, contact specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov.

Will my child receive make-up sessions for this period of time?

Each related service provider is monitoring your child’s progress during remote learning. Adjustments can be made to service provision as needed. school resumes, we will ensure that appropriate interventions are in place to support your child. If you have questions about your child’s progress or want to request a change in service provision, please contact your child’s related service provider.

Progress Monitoring

What is progress monitoring?

Progress monitoring is the assessment of a student’s performance and the effect of the instruction and services being provided. In this context, we are referring specifically to progress toward IEP goals. Teachers and related service providers identify the skills each student needs to master. The data collected through progress monitoring helps guide instruction and service provision and informs IEP team decisions about appropriate recommendations and goals.

How often will schools provide information about my child’s progress?

Schools are required to provide progress reports to parents of students with IEPs at least as often as they issue report cards. For example, if schools issue report cards four times per school year, progress reports on student’s IEP goals will be provided at least four times per school year. The report should contain information about the student’s progress toward each annual goal in the IEP, and an assessment of whether the goal is likely to be met within the timeframe. This data is documented at the bottom of each IEP goal page. You may ask for progress reports to be provided more frequently, or for an update of your child’s progress at any time.

How often will data be collected for each goal?

This depends on what is being measured, how often measurement will be meaningful, and at what rate progress is expected. The Annual Goals section of the IEP sets out the schedule for progress monitoring data collection.

What happens if my child’s progress is not meeting expectations?

One of the main purposes of progress monitoring is to use the data collected to make adjustments that “fine tune” the IEP in response to the student’s performance. If the progress monitoring procedure and reporting indicates that your child is not making expected progress toward IEP goals, the IEP team may consider adjusting IEP recommendations and/or goals. This will always be done in collaboration with you. As a parent, your role includes:

  • Making sure you are receiving regular progress reports from the school
  • Asking questions if the data does not make sense to you
  • Requesting a meeting with your child’s teacher or IEP team to review the information and discuss options if you feel your child is not making sufficient progress

Does progress monitoring inform my child’s grades?

The grading policy of your child’s school is applicable to students with and without IEPs. Progress monitoring IEP goals will not inform your child’s grades, but it is important in determining the appropriate services and supports your child will receive each school year. (Please note that there is an updated grading policy this year, due to the transition to remote learning.)

Who can I contact if I have additional questions or need support with progress monitoring?

Collaboration with teachers and service providers is a key aspect of progress monitoring and will provide guidance as you work with your child. You may think about asking your child’s teachers and/or service providers:

  • Which of my child’s IEP goals have you been working on?
  • What skills are the goals based on?
  • How can I best support my child in learning these skills?

If you still have questions after speaking with your child’s school, feel free to email specialeducation@schools.nyc.gov.

Paraprofessionals for Students in DOE Schools

Will my child receive paraprofessional supports during remote learning?

IEP-assigned paraprofessionals and classroom paraprofessionals will continue to support students and the classroom remotely.

What do paraprofessional supports look like during remote learning?

Paraprofessionals may support students in the following ways:

  • alongside teachers during instruction
  • individual or small group instruction, as directed by the teacher
  • check-in/check-outs with you and/or your child, using your preferred communication method, to ensure your child’s remote learning needs are met, and to share your concerns with the teacher
  • during teletherapy sessions with your child’s related service provider

Paraprofessionals providing behavior supports will work closely with you to help you implement behavior strategies.

Alternate placement paraprofessionals will continue to provide language support through remote learning.

Grading, Graduation and Transition

Are there different grading policies for children with IEPs?

The NYC DOE Grading Policy is applicable to both students with and without IEPs. Schools will continue to monitor each student’s progress toward IEP goals and report this information to you. Students who are alternately assessed will continue to receive grades consistent with the existing grading scales from before the transition to remote learning.

What is the impact on high school students with IEPs who expect to graduate at the end of this school year?

The June and August 2020 Regents exam administrations were canceled. Students who planned to take a Regents exam are eligible for an exemption.

If your young adult is due to exit school because they will have reached age 21, please schedule a meeting with a staff member from their school to discuss their postsecondary plan. If your young adult was unable to complete their coursework in spring 2020 or is not yet able to access their post-school services they may be eligible for additional services or support. Contact your child’s school or NYCTCACs@schools.nyc.gov.

How will I know what graduation options are available to my child?

Your school will communicate with you about the graduation options available. All students with IEPs will continue to be provided with an exit summary prior to graduation. Students expecting to receive the CDOS or SAC will still receive this credential. (Requirements for the CDOS have been changed for this year; see the NYSED website for additional information.)

For additional information regarding graduation contact the Transition and College Access Center (TCAC) at NYCTCACs@schools.nyc.gov

Charter Schools and Non-Public Schools

My child attends a charter school or non-public school. How will they be served remotely?

Charter schools and non-public schools will have information for families on their plan for serving students while schools are closed.

If your child attends a Charter school or non-public school and is recommended to receive SETSS or related services, those services will be provided remotely, whenever appropriate. If you have not been contacted by your child’s provider to arrange for these services to be provided remotely, contact your child’s CSE.

Back to Top