To keep students connected and able to learn from home, the DOE has lent 300,000 internet-enabled iPads to students since schools buildings closed and students transitioned to remote learning. In order to meet additional demand, the DOE has ordered 10,000 more iPads, which we will send out to families who have requested them on a rolling basis beginning the week of June 8, 2020.
We are committed to making sure every student can stay connected, and are currently working to secure more devices. If you still need a device for remote learning, please request one by filling out the form below.
We will be prioritizing devices for students who will be participating in DOE summer school. In order to ensure the students receive the device by the start of summer school, please make all requests by:
- Friday, June 19, 2020 (by 5 PM) for 12-month IEP students
- Friday, June 19, 2020 (by 5 PM) for 3 to 8 grade students
- Friday, June 26, 2020 for HS students
Remote Learning Device Request
Who Can Request an iPad
Any child, from 3K to grade 12, who attends a NYC public school, DOE Pre-K or 3K program (NYCEEC/FCC) and who needs a device is eligible to receive an iPad for remote learning.
Charter school students who are eligible for iPads:
- 3K-12 students with individualized education programs (IEPs)
- 3K-12 students who are living in shelter, foster care, or are living doubled up who need a device
Private School Students who are eligible for iPads:
- K-12 students who were recommended for a non-public school placement by the DOE and placed at a state-approved non-public school by the Central Based Support Team
- K-12 students who attend a private or religious school and also receive special education services from the DOE, typically through an Individualized Education Services Program (IESP), who need a device for such services
- Preschool students who receive special education services from the DOE, including students in NY State-Approved 4410 providers and students receiving related services or Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) services.
Keep in Mind
- You must enter the correct student information and a valid address for delivery of the device.
- All devices are granted on a temporary basis and will later need to be returned.
- There is a limit of one device per student. Families may request more than one device if they have more than one eligible student.
- We are shipping devices as we receive them.
iPad Care and Safety
iPads should remain with the student they are assigned to in order to engage in remote learning. If there is a change in the student's residence during remote learning the iPad should remain with the student, and should be used primarily inside the residence to prevent unnecessary damage.
Damaged iPads are protected by AppleCare. The DOE will work with families to get broken devices repaired using this coverage. For AppleCare support, please file a Technical Support Ticket or call the Help desk at 718-935-5100. Families will not be held accountable for accidental damage through normal use, but please exercise caution and common sense to protect your iPad. iPads must be installed in the case provided. You should be using your iPad primarily indoors for schoolwork and it must be secured in the case when you travel with the device.
Where is My iPad?
We are working with our vendors to receive, process, ship, and deliver requested devices. Please note it may take a few weeks for eligible students to receive devices. Please be patient as we work to distribute devices. Please note we are prioritizing devices for students attending summer school.
Confirmation of Address for Delivery
Families are asked to provide a valid shipping address when they request a device and all families receive a confirmation email the day they make the request. After the DOE confirms that a student is eligible to receive the iPad, we will send out a message to let families know the device will be shipped and to alert them that there will be a call made by our vendor (NTT) to confirm the shipping address.
We ask that families to answer the phone when the vendor calls. The number that shows on the screen will be 866-552-0485. The vendor will make 3 attempts to reach the family, after which we will work with the schools to contact the families.
If families miss all the attempts made by the vendor and the DOE to confirm the shipping address, they can call the vendor at 866-552-0485. We will not ship the device without getting the address confirmation. If we do not hear from the family we will move the iPad request to inactive until we can connect with that family.
Families can email NYCDOEdevicedistribution@schools.nyc.gov for questions relating to iPad delivery.
Cancelling a Request
If you requested an iPad to participate in remote learning and you no longer need it, let us know by filling out the Cancel Device Request form. Please note this cancellation is only for devices that have not been shipped. If you have already received a device and you no longer need it please file a Technical Support Ticket or call the Help desk at 718-935-5100.
Getting Started with Your iPad
If you have received your iPad, and need help getting it set up, see the Getting Started with Your iPad page.
- Support for the iPads is available through our Technical Support Ticket or call the Help desk at 718-935-5100
- We continue to add apps for education onto the iPads.