Paraprofessional for 30Q417
- Posted Date: Apr 20, 2022
- School Name: 30Q417
- District: 30
- School Site: 28-01 41st Avenue, Queens, NY 11101
- Send Cover Letter and Resume to: Email HireQ417@gmail.com
30Q417 is an open, welcoming, and culturally affirming community using robotics and challenge-based learning to empower students with the mindsets and skills to solve problems that matter. Our graduates will engage in joyful and meaningful learning, think deeply and critically, and grow emotionally and socially.
30Q417 is founded in collaboration with NYC FIRST. Supported by NYC FIRST’s extensive experience, the school’s core components will include robotics, advisory, Capstone projects, and new curricula within Humanities and STEM that integrate design thinking and challenge-based learning. Students will be engaged in all aspects of the school including the evaluation of courses, the design of new offerings, and the outfitting of the space. Students and staff will collaborate with the NYC FIRST team and travel weekly to the NYC FIRST STEM Center at Cornell Tech, on Roosevelt Island.
Our core values are Joy, Integrity, Courage, Empathy, Meaning-Making, Connectedness, and Kindness.
Our students are:
- Curious people who are knowledgeable about the world.
- Engaged participants who are key to creating a more just and functional democracy.
- Sense makers who deal with conflicting knowledge.
- Generative thinkers reframe, imagine, and see problems from different perspectives.
- Essential co-creators because of what they bring and how they show up.
- Inventors of their own learning paths, careers, and lives.
Instructional Philosophy: We believe that children learn best when teaching and learning is
- Student-focused and personal
- Rooted in Design
A seven-day summer planning institute will offer an essential opportunity for staff to be involved in developing the school’s culture and instructional program.
Because we believe that all staff members play an important role in the education of our students, the school will offer opportunities for paraprofessionals to participate in activities like:
- After school and/or Saturday tutoring, enrichment, sports, arts, and family programs
- In-house school committees and/or special programs.
Advance notice of dates will be supplied, and those who participate will be compensated according to the terms of the UFT contract. Staff participation in these activities is voluntary, although strongly encouraged, as they are very important to the development of the school.
UFT Paraprofessionals hired after 2004 must have a Level 1 NYSED Teaching Assistant Certificate. UFT Paraprofessionals hired before 2004 currently on DOE payroll are eligible for this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because roles in small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the school’s mission and core beliefs and to become involved in these essential aspects:
- Working within a non-traditional school schedule and organization structure that meets the needs of English Language learners and students requiring special education services
- Supporting students in the classroom
- Contributing to student observation and documentation files
- Collaborating with individual teachers and teacher teams to provide targeted, small group and one-on-one instructional support to students
- Working with teachers to implement an integrated curriculum and student-centered environment
- Collaborating with teachers to create a learning environment where students’ emotional and social needs are met through conflict resolution, peer mediation, collaborative learning, team building activities, etc.
- Seeking professional growth experiences, and contributing to the professional growth of colleagues
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities
- Ability to assist teachers in implementing reading and writing strategies in daily lessons
- Ability to assist teachers in implementing mathematical and scientific strategies in daily lessons
- Ability to assist teachers in implementing study skills and organizational strategies in daily lessons
- Strong student management skills
- Ability to professionally and effectively communicate orally and in writing with colleagues and students
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate and support school-wide initiatives to support student engagement and learning
- Commitment to continuous professional growth (i.e. professional development, formal education, outside reading)
- Experience or willingness to learn how to support the use of technology in the classroom to improve student learning
- Ability to assist teachers in all independent, partner, group and whole class projects, work and activities
- Excellent attendance, punctuality and organizational skills
In addition to the cover letter, resume, and interview, applicants must present three references including, if possible, one from a current supervisor. Other references might include a colleague with whom the applicant has collaborated, and/or a professional organization or staff development representative.
WORK SCHEDULE & SALARY
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender(sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction(except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above - noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non - Discrimination Policy.
As of August 2, 2021, all NYC Department of Education new hires (who are not currently employees of the City of New York) must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to beginning their employment unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Please visit the New Employees page for details regarding Executive Order 75.