New Students

A diverse group of elementary school students outside their school, smiling

Need a School?

If you're new to New York City DOE public schools or need help with enrollment, you've come to the right place! Year-round, we're here to help with applications, waitlists, and more. 

Enroll in 3-K

For children born in 2017

Interested in 3-K programs for the 2020-2021 school year but don't yet have a placement? Email us at We will support you in exploring program availability. For eligible families, some programs are available throughout the year and/or for longer hours. Please note, 3-K for All is not yet a city-wide program, so placement is not guaranteed. Learn more about 3-K.

Enroll in Pre-K

For children born in 2016

Need a pre-K program for fall 2020? Every New York City resident (including those who have temporarily moved out of New York City during the COVID-19 pandemic) can start attending pre-K in the calendar year they turn 4. You can also email us at for assistance in finding a program with an available seat near you. Learn more about pre-K.

Enroll in Elementary or Middle School

Need a school for fall 2020? 

Most students in kindergarten through eighth grade attend their zoned school if they have one. To find out if your New York City home address has a zoned school, call 311 or use Find a School and type in your home address.

  • When schools are in session: If you have a zoned school, contact that school directly to register.
  • If you don't have a zoned school or would like to explore other options, contact a Family Welcome Center to register for school.

Learn about your zoned school and/or other schools in your district online with MySchools:

Starting elementary or middle school in fall 2021?

During the application period, learn when and how to apply to kindergarten, test to participate in Gifted & Talented admissions, and apply to middle school.

Enroll in High School

Need a high school for fall 2020?

If your child has finished eighth grade, they can start high school. All new students enrolling in high school must contact a Family Welcome Center to register.

Starting high school in fall 2021?

During the application period, learn when and how to apply to high school, and to test or audition to apply to the specialized high schools.

Transfers, Non-Resident Enrollment, and Charter Schools

Enrollment for Students in Temporary Housing

Students in temporary housing, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, are not required to submit documentation (including address, proof of date of birth, and immunization records) in order to participate in any admission process or enroll in school. Read the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act here:

  • Call Us

    Call Monday-Friday (8am-6pm), Saturday-Sunday (9am-1pm) at 718-935-2009.

  • Get Support

    Family Welcome Center staff are here to help.

Back to Top