Enroll in DOE Public Schools
If you are new to New York City public schools or need help with the enrollment process, you've come to the right place.
- If you'd like to transfer from one NYC public school to another, visit our Transfers page:
- If you live outside of the five boroughs of NYC but would like to enroll your child in a NYC public school, visit the Non-Resident Enrollment page:
- If you’d like to enroll in a charter school, visit the Learn About Charter Schools page:
Here are some commonly-used forms you might need if you're enrolling in school.
- Use the Pre-Registration Checklist to learn what you need to bring to register your child for school:
- If you're new to NYC, you will need to fill out this Housing Questionnaire at your new school or a Family Welcome Center:
- If your home language is not English, be sure to request a Home Language Identification Survey from your school or a Family Welcome Center. Interpretation services will be available in more than 200 languages at any Family Welcome Center.
- If you're not the primary leaseholder or homeowner where you live, you can fill out the Parent Affidavit of Residency and get it notarized:
- If you're temporarily taking care of a student but are not the parent or guardian, you can fill out the Non-Parent Affidavit and get it notarized:
Enroll in 3-K
If your child was born in 2015 and you're interested in 3-K programs for the 2018-2019 school year, fill out the Get-in-Touch Form on 3-K Finder. The 3-K Outreach Team will contact will you with more information about program availability. Seats at 3-K programs are not guaranteed.
Enroll in Pre-K
If your child was born in 2014, they can enroll in pre-kindergarten (pre-K) for the 2018-2019 school year. Fill out the Get-in-Touch Form on Pre-K Finder and the Pre-K Outreach Team will contact will you with more information about program availability. You can also use Pre-K Finder to explore programs in your area and contact programs directly for more information about enrollment:
Enroll in Elementary or Middle School
Most students in kindergarten through eighth grade attend their zoned school, if they have one. To find out if your NYC home address has a zoned school, call 311 or use the Find a School button and type in your home address:
- If you have a zoned school, contact that school directly to register.
- If you don't have a zoned school or would like to explore other options, visit a Family Welcome Center to register for school—find locations and hours at the link below:
Enroll in High School
If your child has finished eighth grade, they can start high school. All new students enrolling in high school must visit a Family Welcome Center to register—find locations and hours at the link below:
- Use NYC School Finder to make a list of high schools that interest you. Bring this list with you when you visit a Family Welcome Center.