Enroll Grade by Grade
MySchools is an online directory of NYC public schools and programs, as well as an application system for families. During 3-K, Pre-K, Kindergarten, Gifted and Talented (G&T), middle school, or high school admissions, create a MySchools account to explore schools, apply, join waitlists, and get your offer.
Fall 2024 Admissions Timeline*
Below are the application open, close, and offer release dates for each of the admissions processes. These dates are for students who are applying during the 2023-2024 school year for admission in the 2024-2025 school year.
*Please note: These dates are subject to change. Any changes will be announced and communicated directly to families. Sign up for updates here.
High School Admissions
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023: High School Application & Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) Registration Opens
- Friday, October 27, 2023: SHSAT Registration Closes
- Wednesday, November 8, 2023: SHSAT School Day Testing
- Friday, December 1, 2023: High School Application Closes
- Thursday, March 7, 2024: High School Offer Release
Middle School Admissions
- Wednesday, October 11, 2023: Middle School Application Opens
- Friday, November 10, 2023: Deadline to register to test for Mark Twain I.S. 239 (21K239) and District 21 Talent Tests
- Friday, December 8, 2023: Middle School Application Closes
- Wednesday, April 3, 2024: Middle School Offer Release
Kindergarten (and Kindergarten Gifted & Talented) Admissions
- Tuesday, December 5, 2023: Kindergarten and Kindergarten G&T Application Opens
- Friday, January 19, 2024: Kindergarten and Kindergarten G&T Application Closes
- Wednesday, March 27, 2024: Kindergarten and Kindergarten G&T Offer Release
3-K and Pre-K Admissions
- Wednesday, January 10, 2024: 3-K and Pre-K Applications Open
- Friday, March 1, 2024: 3-K and Pre-K Applications Close
- Tuesday, May 14, 2024: Pre-K Offer Release
- Thursday, May 16, 2024: 3-K Offer Release
Gifted & Talented (G&T) Upper Grade Admissions
- Monday, April 15, 2024: G&T Upper Grade Application Opens
- Friday, May 3, 2024: G&T Upper Grade Application Closes
- Wednesday, June 12, 2024: G&T Upper Grade Offer Release
Need a School for Your Child Now?
Learn what to do on the New Students page.
HOW TO APPLY: Grade by Grade
Click or tap on the links below to learn more about each admissions process.
Learn about eligibilty for Infant and Toddler programming. These programs provide free or low-cost child care and education for children from 6 weeks to 2 years old. If you qualify, your child can begin a program any time during the year.
For qualifying families: Head Start provides safe, positive learning environments for children ages 3-4 to learn, to play, and get ready for kindergarten and beyond. Early Head Start provides child care for children 0-2 years old. Contact programs directly to apply.
Apply to free, full-day 3-K programs the year your child turns 3.
Apply to pre-K programs the year your child turns 4. There is a pre-K seat for every 4-year-old NYC resident.
Your child will enter kindergarten in the calendar year they turn 5. Apply even if your child is a current pre-K student.
Eligible children entering kindergarten (in the calendar year they turn 5), grade 1, grade 2, or grade 3 can participate in G&T admissions.
Apply during your child’s 5th grade year (or 6th grade for students in K-6 schools).
Apply during your child's 8th or (first-time) 9th grade year.
During your child's 8th or (first-time) 9th grade year, register to audition and/or test to apply to the Specialized High Schools.
Schools across New York City were invited to participate in a pilot initiative to increase diversity within their schools. Learn about the participating schools and initiatives for each grade level.
2024 NYC Public Schools Admissions Guide
View or download the 2024 NYC Public Schools Admissions Guide! This book provides an overview of admissions processes and resources for Infants and Toddlers programs, 3-K, Pre-K, Kindergarten, Gifted and Talented (G&T) programs, middle school, and high school (including Specialized High Schools), including a section on how to use MySchools.
Print copies will be available in 10 languages at schools, early childhood programs, libraries, and other sites throughout September.