During these uncertain times we want you to know we are still here to support your academic and college & career goals!! Our classes are currently available in person or via remote learning.
What's the Difference Between Basic Education and High School Equivalency?
- Basic Education classes address lower literacy levels in reading and math to prepare students for High School Equivalency classes (HSE).
- HSE classes prepare students for the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
Types of Classes
NOTE: not all are available for remote learning, please contact us at the email or phone number listed above for more information.
- English as a Second Language: Helps students build English language and reading skills
- Basic Education: Basic literacy and preparation for the High School Equivalency Assessment Exam
- High School Equivalency Classes:
- Career and Technical Education. Year-round courses in:
- computer literacy
- health careers
- auto mechanics
- plumbing, and electrical training
Who Can Enroll?
Any New York City resident who is:
- 21 years or older
- Does not have U.S. High School diploma or equivalency (HSE)
Some Career and Technical Education (CTE) classes also have limited space for adults who do have high school equivalency diplomas.
How to Enroll
For more information on how to enroll into Adult Education please:
- Email email@example.com
- Call (646)-481-8227
Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
Due to COVID-19 and State Education Department's pause on testing, we are not currently offering testing to the general public. Students currently enrolled in a NYCDOE High-School-Equivalency program who are interested in testing should contact their school counselor.
TASC Resources (SED Requirement)
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I have a high school diploma or college degree from another country?
You can still take our Adult Ed classes.
Do students need social security numbers or documents to take adult education classes?
No documentation is needed for:
- English as a Second Language,
- Adult Basic Education,
- High School Equivalency classes
Want to register for a Career and Technical Education class, leading to certification and job placement? You may need to give a social security number or other documents to verify your identity.
I am 18-21 years old. This page says Adult Education is for ages 21+. What do I do?
We have other services for those between the ages of 17-21. Check out the information for High School Equivalency.