What Is Adult Education?
- Over 800 free classes--see course catalog below
- For adults age 21 and over
- Held both during the day and evening, Monday through Saturday
- Based at more than 175 sites in all five boroughs,
- You can take classes anywhere in the city, regardless of which borough you live in.
- Taught by certified teachers
- Some classes require fees for textbooks, certification exams, and/or uniforms.
Types of Classes
- English as a Second Language: Helps students build English language and reading skills
- Basic Education: Basic literacy and preparation for the High School Equivalency Assessment Exam
- High School Equivalency Classes:
- Career and Technical Education. Year-round courses in:
- computer literacy
- health careers
- auto mechanics
- plumbing, and electrical training
What's the Difference Between Basic Education and High School Equivalency?
- Basic Education classes address lower literacy levels in reading and math to prepare students for High School Equivalency classes (HSE).
- HSE classes prepare students for the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
Test Assessing Secondary Completion
How to Register
To find out more about registering to take the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), please call or visit:
High School Equivalency Central Processing Unit
475 Nostrand Ave, Rm. 403
Brooklyn, NY 11216
(Hours of operation: Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm)
You will need to get an application form, fill it out, and return it to the Central Processing Unit by mail or in person. You can call 718-638-2635 ext. 4030 for more information about the TASC.
TASC Resources (State Education Department Requirement)
Find Out More
Literacy Zones Offices are drop in centers that can help families cope with the challenge of assimilating into a new culture and learning a new language. Staff in these centers can connect you to classes and resources that help with:
- other needs.
There are four literacy zones, one in each borough.
The Bronx Literacy Zone (BxLZ)
3450 E Tremont Avenue, Room 302
718-863-4057 ext. 3021
Mid-Manhattan Literacy Zone (MMLZ)
212 W 120th Street, Room 102
New York, NY
212-666-1919 ext. 1021
Brooklyn Literacy Zone (BLZ)
475 Nostrand Avenue, Room 107
718-638-2635 ext. 1070
Queens Literacy Zone (QLZ)
25-35 Jackson Avenue, Room 309
Long Island City, NY
718-361-9480 ext. 3091
Learn About Enrolling