DREAM stands for:
- Ambition, and
DREAM is a Saturday and summer academic program that prepares eligible seventh-grade New York City public school students to take the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) in the eighth grade.
DREAM 2020 Update:
Offer letters and waitlist letters for students who applied to DREAM in Novemer and December 2019 were sent to schools on Friday, January 17th. Classes will start on Saturday, February 1st, with all necessary details included in the offer letter. For questions about offer and waitlist letters please reach out to your child’s school or email SHSI@schools.nyc.gov.
DREAM in the 2019-20 School Year
As of 2019, DREAM’s two programs, the DREAM-Specialized High School Institute, and the DREAM-Summer/Fall Intensive, will merge into one program, DREAM-SHSI. The program will begin in February of a student’s seventh grade year.
If a student is accepted, they must commit to participate in the entire program.
This program runs:
- February–June of seventh grade, Saturdays only
- July and August after seventh grade, Monday–Thursday for five weeks
- September–October of eighth grade, Saturdays only
DREAM-SHSI Application and Enrollment Process
- Letters to eligible students will be sent to their homes and schools in November, with instructions on how to apply. Applications must be completed by December 13.
- Families apply by following the enrollment instructions in their letters.
- If there are more applications than available seats, a random selection will be conducted, and a waitlist will be created.
- Offer letters will be mailed to families and schools in December or early January.
- Classes will start on Saturday, February 1, 2020.
To be eligible for DREAM-SHSI students must meet all of the criteria in Part A, and one of the criteria in Part B:
- Be a current NYC resident
- Be enrolled in the seventh grade in a DOE public or charter school
- Score a minimum of:
- 3.2 on the 2019 grade six English Language Arts, and
- 4.0 on the 2019 grade six Mathematics NY State tests
Students must EITHER:
- Meet income requirements based on federal guidelines, as informed by the family income inquiry form, regardless of district of residence.
- Live or attend school in NYC school district 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, or 32.
For questions, please email SHSI@schools.nyc.gov.