Your child’s health is important to us. We want to work together to ensure that your child receives the best care possible while at school. Learn how you can help us care for your child, and about the diabetes services that schools provide.

How You Can Help

Diabetes Medication Administration Form

Have your child’s health care provider complete a Diabetes Medication Administration Form (DMAF) for your child every year:

  • This form gives your school important information about your child’s diabetes, treatment, and symptoms. It also allows your child to have blood sugar levels checked, and take prescribed medicine (like insulin and glucagon) at school.
  • A parent/guardian who signed the DMAF can make changes to insulin doses if/as prescribed on the DMAF Addendum. All changes must be within the range prescribed by your child’s provider and discussed with your school nurse. 
  • In order to comply with recent medical guidelines on diabetes issued by the New York State Education Department (NYSED), the DMAF review process for students has been revised. The updated guidelines state that after the school physician reviews your child’s DMAF, any corrections or updates to their order will require a new DMAF to be submitted from your child’s health care provider. A school physician or nurse will be in contact with you and/or your health care provider if a new DMAF is needed.

If you have questions about your child’s DMAF, please contact the school nurse or 504 Coordinator at your child’s school.

To request a status update after submitting the DMAF to the Office of School Health (OSH), please contact the OSH DMAF hotline at 718-786-4933.

Bring your child’s prescribed medicine and equipment to school.

  • Medicine must be labeled, unopened, and in its original container.

Important Information for Healthcare Providers

In order to comply with recent guidance provided by New York State, the DMAF review process has been revised. After the school physician reviews, any corrections or updates to your patient’s medication order will require a resubmission of the corrected DMAF from you, the original prescribing physician. If we are unable to contact you, we will reach out to your patient’s parent/guardian.

Services We Provide

Medicine at School and Blood Sugar Level Checks

Your child will be able to take prescribed medicine at school after the MAF is approved. If needed, the school nurse or trained staff will help your child check blood sugar levels and take prescribed medicine.

Diabetes Action Plan

Your school nurse will work with you and your child’s health care provider to create a diabetes action plan. School staff members will be trained to recognize your child’s warning signs for low blood sugar. In the case of emergency low blood sugar, your child will immediately be given his/her prescribed glucagon by the school nurse or trained staff.

Other Services

Schools offer other services for students with special health needs, such as paraprofessionals and school transportation. Review health services and 504 accommodations to learn about other services that may help your child and how to apply.

Parent Communications

If you have questions about services for your child, please reach out to the 504 Coordinator and/or Health Director for your child's school.

Find Out More

If you have additional questions about NYC DOE Section 504 policy and procedures, please contact Neil Somerfeld, Section 504 Program Manager at 718-310-2429 or 504Questions@schools.nyc.gov.

If you have questions about diabetes related care in school, please contact the 504 Coordinator and or the Health Director for your child’s school. You can also read more about the health services in our schools.

Notice of Class Action

The parents of three New York City public school students have filed a lawsuit to ask for better care for students with diabetes in our public schools.

All current and future NYC public school students with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes who need diabetes-related care in school are part of the group, or “class,” of students who are represented in this legal case. These students are automatically part of the class, and there is nothing you need to do. Class members will not receive money from, or owe money, for this case.

Other Resources

Back to Top