iPad Care and Safety
iPads should remain with the student they are assigned to in order to engage in remote learning. If there is a change in the student's residence during remote learning the iPad should remain with the student, and should be used primarily inside the residence to prevent unnecessary damage.
Families will not be held accountable for accidental damage through normal use, but please exercise caution and common sense to protect your iPad. iPads must be installed in the case provided. You should be using your iPad primarily indoors for schoolwork and it must be secured in the case when you travel with the device.
In the case of damage, families should bring the broken or non functioning iPad to their school for examination and repair or replacement where possible.
When distributing devices, schools should ensure that the Student Device Loan Agreement (available above) is signed by parents and by students (for students in grades 6-12).
Help with a Broken iPad or Device
The Device or Apps Fixes page has how-tos and guidance for fixing some of the most common iPad or device issues.
If your student's device is broken and cannot be fixed by troubleshooting, please return the device to your child's school.
See the full list of apps that have been added to the iPads.
You will not be able to access the app store or download any additional apps. If there is an app you need, talk to your teacher or principal.
Signing In to Apps
- For all Microsoft apps, you should sign in with your DOE student account.
- For all Google or G Suite apps, sign in with your DOE student account or the Google address your school may have given you already.
- You cannot use your personal Apple ID. Your iPad is for educational--not personal--use only.
Using Multiple Accounts in Google Classroom
You can switch between your @nycstudents.net account and your school-specific G Suite domain account in Google Classroom. Here's how:
- Open the Google Classroom app.
- Sign in with one of your two accounts.
- If you sign in with your @nycstudents.net account first, you will be prompted to verify your account credentials. Please follow all prompts.
- Once you successfully sign into Google Classroom, you will see a colored circle with your first initial in the upper right corner. Click on the circle.
- Click Add another account.
- Enter account credentials for your second account.
- If you need help with the iPad, please visit the SupportHub, and browse the questions and answers about DOE-loaned devices.
- If you don't find the answer to your question in SupportHub, you can fill out a ticket and an agent will contact you.
- You can also call the DOE Service Desk at 718-935-5100.
- If the iPad is broken or not functioning, bring the iPad to your school and the school will help you get the device examined and repaired or replaced where possible.
- All NYCPS iPads include three years of AppleCare+ coverage with two incidents of accidental damage per device per year.
Learn how to return your DOE-loaned iPad if you are leaving a DOE school or program, or if you have graduated high school.