Who takes the test?
Students have the opportunity to take Regents Exams in grades 9-12 and, when appropriate, in grade eight. Students may also take Regents exams after leaving high school to earn a diploma.
When are the 2021-2022 Regents exams?
The exams will be administered within the following dates:
- January 2022 Regents Examination Period
- On December 21st, the Board of Regents and New York State Education Department (NYSED) announced the cancellation of all Regents examinations that had been scheduled for the January 2022 Regents administration period, in response to the ongoing COVID–19 pandemic.
- June 2022 Regents Examination Period
- Wednesday, June 15 through Friday, June 24. No State examinations will be administered on Monday, June 20 to allow for the weekday observance of the Juneteenth holiday.
- On May 24, 2022, New York State Education Department (NYSED) canceled the administration of the Regents Examination in United States History and Government (Framework) originally scheduled for Wednesday, June 1, 2022. In the wake of the recent tragedy in Buffalo, the Board of Regents determined that the content of the existing exam had the potential to compound student trauma. To appropriately support students and their well-being, NYSED decided to cancel the administration of the Regents Examination in United States History and Government (Framework) for June 2022. In response to this, further guidance will be shared regarding the approval of a graduation exemption for students scheduled to sit for this exam.
- August 2022 Regents Examination Period
- Tuesday, August 16 and Wednesday, August 17
What is on the test?
The content will vary by exam subject. All exams have multiple choice and open-ended questions.
How is the test scored?
The Regents exams are scored by licensed and trained New York City teachers, and follows NY State Education Department policies on scoring of State exams.
How are the results reported?
You can see Regents exam results on the student's high school transcript and in their NYC Schools Account. Schools have the option to display all of the student’s Regents exam scores or just the highest score earned in each exam subject.
How are the results used?
Results are used for student high school graduation requirements, school quality reports, and teacher development and evaluation.