A School Wellness Council is a group of parents, students, school staff, and community members who work together and with the school administration to promote a healthy school community. The DOE Wellness Policy encourages all schools to have a School Wellness Council. If you are part of a School Wellness Council, you will attend regular meetings at your school and help with:
- Making sure the school provides high-quality physical education and health education
- Making sure the school is following the DOE Wellness Policy
- Starting physical activity clubs and organizing fitness events
- Creating healthy snack policies and encouraging your school to follow them
- School gardens
- Promoting the importance of healthy food
- Promoting inclusivity and diversity
New for 2020-2021
School Wellness Councils can help schools and students stay healthy and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. A wellness council can
- Help connect people in the school community
- Encourage the school to teach lessons about health and safety, like how to wash your hands and wear a face mask properly
- Promote activities that help students and families recover from trauma
See details about the 2020-2021 School Wellness Council grant below. School staff and wellness council members can apply by November 2, 2020.
DOE Wellness Policy
Read the full Department of Education Wellness Policy.
Click one of the links below to learn more :
Join a School Wellness Council
Schools need diverse parent voices in order to understand what the school community needs and to decide what programs and policies will help keep their community healthy. If you want to join a School Wellness Council:
- Ask your parent coordinator if your school already has a wellness council. If so, contact the council leader to find out how to get involved.
- If your school does not have a wellness council, speak to your principal or the parent coordinator and let them know you are interested in starting one.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help. Staff from the DOE Office of School Wellness Programs can reach out to your school to help them start a council and apply for a grant.
School Wellness Council Grants
2020-2021 Application Deadline: November 2
This year, DOE public schools can apply for three kinds of grants:
- First-year grants of $2,500 help schools start a wellness council.
- Continuation grants of $500 - $1,000 help schools support the work of an existing council.
School staff and members of the School Wellness Council can apply for these grants shortly after the start of the school year. If you’re interested in helping your school apply, you can talk to your parent coordinator about the program. Visit the Wellness Council Manager on the Wellness Hub (non-DOE employees will need to create an account, first).
Sign up for School Wellness Weekly to get information about the grant application and other school-wellness-related grants, programs, tips, and news.
For more information about School Wellness Councils, email email@example.com.
2019-20 Implementation Grant Winners
2019-20 Continuation Grant Winners