Use the Charter School Directory to find the elementary, middle, and high school charter schools in your borough. The directory tells you each school's
- mission and model
- lottery and enrollment preferences
- location and community school district
- contact information
You can also find charter schools using Find a School:
Charter schools must admit students of all kinds. They cannot exclude students on the basis of:
- national origin
- intellectual ability
- measures of achievement or aptitude
- athletic ability
Lottery and Enrollment
The deadline to apply for most charter schools is April 1.
For information about a specific charter school and its enrollment deadline, contact the school directly.
- If the number of students who apply to a charter school is more than the number of available seats, schools will use a random selection process, such as a lottery.
- If you miss the charter school’s deadline, you can still apply, but your child will be placed at the bottom of the waitlist.
- Each school has its own application form, but many use the NYC Charter School Center’s Common Application (contact the school directly for more information).
Charter schools give enrollment preferences to:
- returning students
- siblings of students already enrolled
- students living in the same community school district as the school
Charter schools may also give preferences to the following groups (if law and the school’s authorizer allow):
- English language learners
- Students who are eligible for free or reduced price lunch
- Single-sex charter schools are allowed