Gifted & Talented programs offer accelerated instruction to eligible elementary school students in New York City.
For Children Entering Kindergarten G&T Programs in Fall 2023
This year, families will be able to apply to kindergarten Gifted and Talented programs on the same general kindergarten application. The combined G&T and kindergarten application will open from December 7, 2022 - January 20, 2023. If your child was born in 2018 and lives in New York City, they are eligible to apply for fall 2023.
For Children Entering G&T Programs for First, Second and Third Grade in Fall 2023
For children who wish to enter G&T programs for grades 1-3, more information will be provided soon.
Sign up for updates about the 2023 Gifted and Talented admissions process.
G&T Program Types
There are two types of G&T programs:
- K-to-5 G&T Programs
- These existing programs serve children throughout elementary school, from kindergarten through grade 5.
- Children can enter these programs in kindergarten, grade 1, grade 2, or grade 3.
- Learn more about how and when to participate in the sections that follow.
- Grade 3 G&T Programs
- These programs––at least one in each NYC community school district––serve children from grade 3 to grade 5.
- Children enter these programs in grade 3. Highest-performing grade 2 students (whose grades are in the top 10% at their school) are invited to apply.
G&T Admissions for Children Entering Kindergarten in Fall 2023
This process is for kindergarten G&T programs. If you list G&T programs on your application, eligibility will be determined after the application closes.
This varies a bit depending on where (and whether) a child currently attends pre-K.
- For current pre-K students at DOE/district schools, Pre-K Centers, NYC Early Education Centers (NYCEECs), or charter schools:
- Anyone who adds a G&T program to their kindergarten application will be evaluated by their current pre-K teachers.
- For current pre-K students at private or parochial school programs, or for children who are not yet in school:
- Interested families apply by listing a G&T program on their kindergarten application.
- After the application closes, DOE's Division of Early Childhood Education contacts applicants to set up interviews.
- Then, interviews take place.
- Based on these interviews, early childhood education experts nominate eligible applicants for G&T admissions.
How Kindergarten G&T Offers Are Made
- After all applications are submitted and eligibility is determined, all eligible applicants are considered for offers.
- Offers are determined based on families' application choices, seat availability, and admissions priorities. All G&T programs give an admissions priority to siblings of current students. Some programs also give a priority to applicants who live or attend school in a specific district.
- All applicants will receive a results letter in spring 2023.