Working Papers

Working papers are also known as Employment Certification.

Who needs working papers?

All students between 14 - 17 years of age must get an employment certificate in order to work
  • Out of state students who are working in New York City must have New York State working papers. The ones from their own state are not sufficient.
  • Minors who are 14 years of age or over are not required to have employment certificates to work as:
    • Caddies
    • Babysitters
    • Engage in casual employment such as yard work and household chores in and about a residence or on the premises of a non-profit, non-commercial organization—as long as these tasks do not involve the use of power-driven machinery.

How do I get working papers?

Students must:

  1. Fill out the New York State application available on the NY State Education Website, which also provides related resources (e.g., Work Hours).
  2. Submit it to the designated person in their high school or middle school. Ask about a virtual process if needed.
    1. Out of state students can contact a Family Support Coordinator at either the Community (middle school) and High School districts.
    2. Family Support Coordinators may also be contacted when DOE schools are closed.
  3. The school—or superintendent's office—will issue an employment certificate to the student.

What do I need to complete/bring?

Make sure you have with you:

  • An application with Section 1 completed and signed by a parent
  • A birth certificate as proof of your age
  • An original version of a:
    • New York State doctor's note (stating the student is "fit for employment")
    • Certificate of physical fitness completed by a NY State physician
  • Schooling record:
    • Registered NYC public school students need their school ID
    • Private school and non-NYC public school students--and out of state students working in NYC--need:
      • To complete the Schooling Record section of the application and:
        • A letter from school or
        • A recent report card
  • Complete the NY State application

Child Performers/Models

  • Child Performer Permits are issued by the NYS Department of Labor (518-457-1942).
  • Child models are recognized as child performers


For School Officials

Information on ordering and issuing working papers is available at the Employee InfoHub (log-in required).