Working papers are also known as Employment Certification.
Who needs working papers?
All students between 14 - 17 years of age must get an employment certificate in order to work
- Out of state students who are working in New York City must have New York State working papers. The ones from their own state are not sufficient.
- Minors who are 14 years of age or over are not required to have employment certificates to work as:
- Engage in casual employment such as yard work and household chores in and about a residence or on the premises of a non-profit, non-commercial organization—as long as these tasks do not involve the use of power-driven machinery.
How do I get working papers?
- Fill out the New York State application available on the NY State Education Website, which also provides related resources (e.g., Work Hours).
- Submit it to the designated person in their high school or middle school. Ask about a virtual process if needed.
- Out of state students can contact a Family Support Coordinator at either the Community (middle school) and High School districts.
- Family Support Coordinators may also be contacted when DOE schools are closed.
- The school—or superintendent's office—will issue an employment certificate to the student.
What do I need to complete/bring?
Make sure you have with you:
- An application with Section 1 completed and signed by a parent
- A birth certificate as proof of your age
- An original version of a:
- New York State doctor's note (stating the student is "fit for employment")
- Certificate of physical fitness completed by a NY State physician
- Schooling record:
- Registered NYC public school students need their school ID
- Private school and non-NYC public school students--and out of state students working in NYC--need:
- To complete the Schooling Record section of the application and:
- A letter from school or
- A recent report card
- Complete the NY State application
- Child Performer Permits are issued by the NYS Department of Labor (518-457-1942).
- Child models are recognized as child performers
For School Officials
Information on ordering and issuing working papers is available at the Employee InfoHub (log-in required).