Welcome to the NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) mobile application–a way for parents/guardians to see their child’s educational progress, right in the palm of their hands.
This guide provides parents/guardians with information about the NYCSA mobile application and how to use it.
Download the NYCSA App: Android | iOS
Overview of NYCSA Mobile Application
The NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) mobile app lets parents and guardians know the latest information about their child’s education. It includes the four most commonly used functions from the full browser-based application:
- My Student
Want to see your child’s report card or any other educational information? Use your computer’s browser to sign into the NYCSA Portal.
Before Using the App
Set up Your NYCSA Account
In order to use the New York City Schools Account (NYCSA) Mobile app, you must have an active NYCSA account. Don’t have one? No worries! You can get started by answering a few basic questions. Then reach out to your parent coordinator at your child’s school to get an account creation code–that’s needed to connect your account to your child’s information. You can read more about the NYSCA application on this website.
Download the NYCSA Mobile App
The mobile app is available for Android and iOS devices.
From your Android device, download the Android NYCSA Application from the Google Play Store.
From your iOS device, download the Apple NYCSA Application from the App Store.
Follow the steps listed below to use the mobile app and start knowing the latest information about your child’s education.
- Choose “Log In” from the app’s homescreen
- Sign in with your NYCSA username and password. (Remember you must already have set up your NYCSA account before using the Mobile application. This needs to be done for every child you have in the NYC Public School System)
- If you have one child enrolled in the NYC Public School system, and have an NYC Schools Account (NYCSA), the screen will display that child’s name accompanied by an icon or photo.
- If you have more than one child enrolled in the NYC Public School system, and have an NYC Schools Account (NYCSA), each child’s name will be displayed alphabetically on the screen:
- To view details for a specific child, select their name from the list.
- If you don’t see the names of all your children, you might need to add them via the NYCSA browser-based application, using a computer or tablet.
- When entering the program you will see the Students full schedule for the week listed by Period and Day of the week.
- With the NYCSA mobile app, you can see your child’s schedule for the full school year. You can also view their schedule by day and period.
- For additional details such as “Grades, Assignments, or Attendance,” refer to the menu located at the bottom of the screen.
- To access notifications and adjust settings, refer to the top right corner of the interface, where the bell and gear icons are located.
- To switch between different children, click on their icons or photos at the top left corner of the NYCPS Attendance Mobile Application.
- This is the Grades homepage where you can see your child’s academic progress, including their courses, teacher name, overall grade, and year to date (YTD) grade.
- When selecting a specific course, a more detailed breakdown of your child’s grade is displayed including a teacher note (if there is one).
- When viewing the grades, more information is made available regarding NYC Academic Policy.
These are the default policies within NYC and your child’s school may have different policies. If that is the case and if you have questions, please contact your child’s school.
The Grades screen pulls information from NYC DOE’s Grades application. Not all schools use this application. If the Grades screen is blank, that could mean that your child’s school does not use DOE Grades and might use another system. If you have questions about which application your school uses for grades, reach out to your school directly.
If your child’s school uses DOE Grades, then this screen lets you see your child’s grades at a course level.
- Within this section, the “Overall Grades” feature displays the average for all assignments across the current term. Please note that this average might be different from the marking period grade.
- Each specific assignment may also include “Teacher’s Notes.” These notes contain general comments that the teacher may have added about the grade for that specific assignment. You can also view this information for the current year and marking period.
For more information about the Grades feature, click the “i” icon.
Note: The grading guidelines you see in the “i” icon are from official NYCPS academic policy guides. These may be different from your child’s school-specific policies. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school.
If your child’s school uses DOE Grades, the Assignment screen lets you see a list of current and past assignments and grades for those assignments.
- When going to the Assignments section of the NYCSA Mobile application you will find a list of all of the courses the student has in alphabetical order listed by Term and by Marking period.
- If you select a specific course and then click the “i” next to the title of the course you will get the Course Information. (Teacher Name and Course Code)
- Within the Assignments Section for the Course they will see the Upcoming assignments as well as Past assignments that are organized by 2 tabs - Graded and Ungraded.
- The Upcoming Assignments will show when they are due and the title of the assignment.
Similar to the Grades screen, the Assignments will only have information if your child’s school uses DOE Grades.
In the Attendance section, you can see:
- Your child’s official daily attendance records.
- Your child’s daily attendance details. This includes:
- Total number of days absent
- Total number of latenesses
Some schools (mostly middle and high schools) take attendance every class period. At this time, the NYCSA mobile app can only show daily attendance. If you would like to know your child’s period-level attendance, please contact your child’s school for details.
The attendance screen will show a calendar of your child’s daily attendance including a total count of absent and late. There is also a visual of each day’s attendance which can be changed for each month.
The “Notifications'' section lets you know when there are new items for you to see in the NYCSA mobile app. For example:
- new grades are posted
- tasks need your attention
- new features are available in NYCSA
- and more!
Follow these steps to access the notification features:
- You can navigate to the notifications page by clicking on the bell icon at the right top corner of the screen.
- The notifications screen will show all notifications about updates to your student’s grades, your NYCSA account, or other pertinent information.
You can customize how you use the NYCA app through the “Settings” screen:
- You can have all of the content in the app to be automatically translated into one of the 10 supported languages.
- Click “Language” and select your preferred language from the drop-down menu
- You can also enable Face ID if this feature is supported by the mobile device you are using.
- Click the toggle near “Enable Face ID” to turn on this feature.
- Note that you will have to have Face ID enabled and set up on your mobile device.
- You can log out of the application.
- Click the words “Logout” to log out of the application.