Please visit our Connect with Us page to find out who to speak with to get help at your school or district, and important contacts within DOE.
Parents have the right to file complaints about matters affecting a child’s education. If you cannot resolve the issue at your school or district, you can file an appeal or complaint pursuant to the Chancellor’s Regulations set forth below. For issues that are not addressed in the Chancellor’s Regulations below, such as complaints about language access services, you can call:
- 718-935-2200 (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.)
- 311 (24 hours a day, seven days a week) and let the operator know you have an education-related issue.
- 212-504-4115 for TTY Services
- Over-the-phone interpretation is available in more than 200 languages.
Chancellor’s Regulations contain specific complaint and appeal procedures for a variety of concerns and issues. Links to these regulations are at the bottom of the page. You can also get copies from your child’s school.
Report a Complaint
Report corporal punishment or verbal abuse (Chancellor's Regulation A-420, A-421)
Report student to student discrimination, harassment, intimidation, bullying (Chancellor's Regulations A-832)
Report complaints regarding the referral, evaluation, development and/or implementation of 504 Plans (Chancellor's Regulation A-710)
Report complaints of discrimination or harassment by DOE employees (Chancellor’s Regulation A-830)
- File a complaint electronically using the OEO complaint form
- Call 718-935-3320
- Mail a complaint to or Visit the OEO office at 65 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Report student-to-student sexual harassment (Chancellor’s Regulation A-831)
Report complaints of pregnancy-based discrimination or harassment by a DOE employee (Chancellor’s Regulation A-740)
- File a complaint on the OEO complaint form
- Call 718-935-3320
- Mail a complaint to or visit the OEO office at 65 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Report complaints concerning the selection and appointment process for principals and assistant principals (Chancellor's Regulation C-30)
Submit an Appeal
- Appeal a transfer to another school based on investigation of residency (Chancellor's Regulation A-101)
- Appeal a principal’s or superintendent’s suspension (Chancellor's Regulation A-443)
- Appeal an involuntary transfer (Chancellor's Regulation A-450)
- Appeal a promotional decision (Chancellor's Regulation A-501)
- Appeal a denial of exemptions from immunizations (Chancellor's Regulation A-701)
- Appeal placement of homeless students or students in temporary housing (Chancellor's Regulation A-780)
- Appeal eligibility for transportation (Chancellor's Regulation A-801)
- Appeal of non-approval of eligibility for free or reduced-price meals (Chancellor’s Regulation A-810)
- Request to amend a child’s education records and appeal denials of such requests (Chancellor's Regulation A-820)
- Appeal denial of access to a public record maintained by the DOE in accordance with the Freedom of Information Law (Chancellor's Regulation D-110)
- Appeal an approved proposal to locate or co-locate a charter school in a public school building (Chancellor’s Regulation A-190)
PA/PTA, SLT, CEC Complaints and Appeals
- Appeal a zoning line decision (for parent associations or parent-teacher associations) (Chancellor’s Regulation A-185)
- File complaints regarding the elections to School Leadership Teams, and appeal decisions regarding such complaints (Chancellor's Regulation A-655)
- Appeal removals from School Leadership Teams for violation of ethics code (Chancellor’s Regulation D-120)
- File election grievances regarding Parent Association and Presidents’ Councils elections, and appeal election grievance decisions (Chancellor’s Regulation A-660)
- Report complaints regarding Parent Association and Presidents’ Councils disputes, actions and inactions (Chancellor's Regulation A-660)
- Report complaints regarding nomination and selection of members of Community Education Councils (Chancellor's Regulation D-140)
- Report complaints regarding nomination and selection of members of the Citywide Council on Special Education and the Citywide District 75 Council (Chancellor's Regulation D-150)
- Report complaints regarding nomination and selection of members of the Citywide Council on High Schools (Chancellor's Regulation D-160)
- Report complaints regarding nomination and selection of members of the Citywide Council on English Language Learners (Chancellor's Regulation D-170)
New York State Appeals
You may appeal a decision by the New York City Department of Education to the Commissioner of the New York State Education Department under the procedures laid out in New York Education Law § 310.
Please refer to the NY State Education Department’s complaint and appeal procedures(Open external link) for resolving complaints or reviewing appeals from decisions of the New York City Department of Education regarding Title I.
New York City Special Commissioner of Investigation
The Special Commissioner of Investigation for the New York City School District investigates complaints of misconduct, fraud, corruption, and misuse of public resources by New York City Department of Education employees. To file a complaint, please refer to https://nycsci.org/contact-us/.