Home Schooling

COVID-19 Updates to Home Schooling

Get the COVID-19 Updates to Home Schooling for the most recent news and announcements.

In response to the COVID-19 public health emergency, New York City Department of Education school buildings and central offices are closed until further notice. Our staff is working remotely during this time. We are currently unable to receive visitors at 333 7th Avenue and the office telephones are unattended as staff are working remotely. Please do not call or send written correspondence to our office by postal mail. Mail sent return receipt requested or delivery confirmation will be returned via the Postal Service as undeliverable.

Contact Information

Office of Home Schooling
333 Seventh Avenue, Floor 7
New York, NY 10001

William Harrington
Director, Office of Home Schooling

John Gitto
High School Guidance Counselor

David Summerville
Guidance Counselor

General Information on Home Schooling in New York City

The Central Office of Home Schooling welcomes you to the 2020-2021 school year. The information below will provide you with instructions to register your child (or continue) home school education for the 2020-21 school year.

How do I enroll (or re-enroll) my child in home schooling for this school year?

To begin or to continue home schooling your child, you must annually submit a Letter of Intent. For the 2020-21 school year, this letter is due on or about July 1, 2020. Please email your Letter of Intent to letterofintent@schools.nyc.gov and include the following:

  • Parent or Guardian name
  • Your child’s name
  • Child’s date of birth
  • Home address

You may send one Letter of Intent that includes multiple children, but a letter of intent is required for every year a child is home schooled. Please do not send general correspondence to the Letter of Intent mailbox.

After a Letter of Intent is sent, what are the next steps?

In order to ensure that your child receives an educational experience aligned to the New York State Education Department (NYSED) Commissioner’s Regulation Part 100.10, there are several forms that you are required to submit over the course of the school year.

You must provide the items listed below each year by the following dates; note all Quarterly Report deadlines are suggested dates. Parents may specify similar Quarterly Report due dates on the Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP). The number of reports should be proportional to the period of home instruction.

Annual Mandated Deadlines

  • July 1, 2020: Submit Letter of Intent [see Part 100.10 (b)]
  • August 15, 2020: Submit Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) [see Part 100.10 (c)]
  • November 15, 2020: Submit Quarterly Report #1
  • January 31, 2021: Submit Quarterly Report #2
  • April 15, 2021: Submit Quarterly Report #3
  • June 30, 2021: Submit Quarterly Report #4 and Annual Assessment

* Indicates dates suggested by the Central Office of Home Schooling. Parents may determine actual dates of quarterly reports submission on the final page of IHIP, but reports must be sent in four evenly spaced quarterly intervals. For students entering home schooling during the school year, the number of reports should be proportional to the period of home instruction.

Available Document Templates

To support parents and families, we have provided electronic copies of every form. You are able to download each form in the language you speak at home and fill out the form on your computer or electronic device. A list of the forms is at the bottom of this page.

It is the sole responsibility of the parent or guardian of each child to submit these items on time and according to the mandates of NYSED Commissioner’s Regulation Part 100.10.

Where do I send documentation?

Parents of children who are currently home schooled in NYC must send all compliance items directly to homeschool@schools.nyc.gov. Please note that compliance items including Letters of Intent, Quarterly Reports, IHIPs, and Annual Assessments cannot be accepted via fax.

All documentation must include your child’s name as it appears in our records. ForIndividualized Home Instruction Plans (IHIP) and Quarterly Reports, please submit only one form per child - do not list multiple children on the same form even if they are in the same grade.

If you have moved or your contact information has changed, please send an email to homeschool@schools.nyc.gov along with the student name to avoid any delays.


Read the NY State Education Department's answers to Frequently Asked Questions about home schooling 

For more detailed information, read the NY State Education Department’s Commissioner’s Regulation Part 100.10.


Parents and guardians are welcome to use the templates below. All documents are revised as of June, 2020

Back to Top