Paraprofessional for PS 958
- Posted Date: Apr 19, 2022
School Name: PS 958
School Site: 836-840 5th Ave Brooklyn. NY 11232
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: email@example.com
Mission: PS 958 is a flexible space for learning that is universally designed, supports neurodiversity and is culturally responsive. Students engage in challenging, real-world exploration that utilizes research-backed instructional practices, builds critical thinking skills and fosters creativity. The school community will work collaboratively to design a student-driven learning experience that supports and affirms the intersection and complexities of all identities, especially those that have been historically marginalized.
- PS 958 will be an inclusive school that utilizes Universal Design for Learning to support diverse Learners.
- PS 958 will utilize structured literacy and project/problem-based learning as key instructional practices.
- PS 958 is looking for instructional staff with a commitment to inclusive education and supporting students with disabilities.
- PS 958 is looking for instructional staff with the capacity to collaborate with diverse team members including related service providers, parents and community members to support individualized instruction for students.
A 5-day summer planning institute will offer an essential opportunity for staff to be involved in developing the school’s culture and instructional program.
Because we believe that all staff members play an important role in the education of our students, the school will offer opportunities for paraprofessionals to participate in activities like:
- Early drop off, after school, enrichment, sports, arts, family programs and community partnerships
- In-house school committees and/or special programs.
- Daytime professional development such as inquiry work, intervisitations, teacher common planning, and collaborative conversation
Advance notice of dates will be supplied, and those who participate will be compensated according to the terms of the UFT contract. Staff participation in these activities is voluntary, although strongly encouraged, as they are very important to the development of the school.
UFT Paraprofessionals hired after 2004 must have a Level 1 NYSED Teaching Assistant Certificate. UFT Paraprofessionals hired before 2004 currently on DOE payroll are eligible for this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because roles in small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the school’s mission and core beliefs and to become involved in these essential aspects:
- Working within an inclusive school that meets the needs of English Language learners and students requiring special education services
- Supporting students in the classroom
- Contributing to student observation and documentation files
- Collaborating with individual teachers and teacher teams to provide targeted, small group and one-on-one instructional support to students
- Working with teachers to implement an integrated curriculum and student-centered environment
- Collaborating with teachers to create a learning environment where students’ emotional and social needs are met through conflict resolution, peer mediation, collaborative learning, team building activities, etc.
- Seeking professional growth experiences, and contributing to the professional growth of colleagues
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities
- Ability to assist teachers in implementing study skills, academic skills and organizational strategies in daily lessons
- Ability to work with classroom teachers to implement collaborative learning activities
- Strong student management skills
- Ability to professionally and effectively communicate orally and in writing with colleagues and students
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate and support school wide initiatives to support student engagement and learning
- Commitment to continuous professional growth (i.e. professional development, formal education, outside reading)
- Experience or willingness to learn how to support the use of technology in the classroom to improve student learning
- Ability to assist teachers in all independent, partner, group and whole class projects, work and activities
- Excellent attendance, punctuality and organizational skills
In addition to the cover letter, resume, and interview, applicants must present three references including, if possible, one from a current supervisor. Other references might include a colleague with whom the applicant has collaborated, and/or a professional organization or staff development representative.
WORK SCHEDULE AND SALARY
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender(sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction(except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above - noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non - Discrimination Policy.