Secretary for MS 85
- Posted Date: Apr 19, 2022
- School Name: MS85 -The Young Women’s Leadership School of Staten Island
- District: 31
- School Site: The Evelyn King Campus, 45 Waverly Pl, Staten Island, NY, 10304
- Send Cover Letter, Resume and Portfolio to: email@example.com
At MS85 -The Young Women’s Leadership School of Staten Island, students will be equipped to learn and create in this ever-changing world. Students will give back and inspire those around them by using what they have mastered. TYWLS scholars will leave a legacy because they will create and innovate to positively impact the people and communities that they encounter.
MS85 -The Young Women’s Leadership School of Staten Island (TYWLS of Staten Island) was established to nurture the intellectual curiosity and creativity of young women and to address their developmental needs. Learning is dynamic and participatory, enabling students to experience great success on many levels, especially in science, mathematics, and technology.
Students of TYWLS of Staten Island will grow academically and emotionally into leaders of their school, community, and the world. TYWLS strives to work with families to instill in all students a sense of community, responsibility, and ethical principles of behavior- characteristics that will help to make them leaders of their generation. Through exposure to technology, engagement in community service, and participation in action-research and interdisciplinary projects, students will elevate their voice and take responsibility for their community. At TYWLS of Staten Island families are partners and together we will support the experience as each leader is cultivated in Staten Island.
TYWLS of Staten Island scholars will learn from every opportunity and in order to give them the ability to create. They will embody what it means to be a successful innovator with strong integrity.
School Slogan: Strong Integrity- Successful Innovation- Sustainable Impact
The TYWLS Staten Island Pledge
I have strong integrity.
I am a successful innovator.
I will have a sustainable impact.
A 9-day summer planning institute will offer an essential opportunity for staff to be involved in developing the school’s culture and instructional program. Additionally, the school will offer opportunities for secretaries to participate in:
- In-house school committees and/or special programs.
Advance notice of dates will be supplied, and those who participate will be compensated according to the terms of the UFT contract. Staff participation in these activities is voluntary, although strongly encouraged, as they are very important to the development of the school.
Possession of regular New York City School Secretary License, with satisfactory ratings and attendance
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because roles in small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the school’s mission and core beliefs and to become involved in these essential aspects:
- Performing School Secretary tasks in support of the learning community and focus of the school.
- Assisting Principal with clerical tasks such as updating calendar, making appointments, sending and receiving correspondence.
- Performing all functions of human services support, as they pertain to the role of school secretary, including payroll and employment processing.
- Performing all functions of pupil enrollment services, including but not limited to registration, transfers, maintaining required documentation of all enrolled students
- Performing pupil accounting, payroll, purchasing and supply duties using DOE systems and Microsoft applications
- Collaborating with all members of the main office staff to serve the school community
- Engaging and interacting with staff, parents, students, and the school community in a positive manner
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities
- Ability to efficiently use FAMIS, Fastrack, ATS, EIS and other DOE purchasing protocols.
- Ability to perform general office management tasks.
- Ability to process school-wide payroll.
- Ability to maintain student records and schedules and coordinate all purchases of textbooks, equipment, and supplies.
- Ability and/or willingness to utilize office equipment and software such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, Outlook) and Google Apps
- Ability and/or willingness to learn advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and accounting and inventory programs.
- Ability to implement the appropriate procedures regarding student and employee records in keeping with DOE regulations.
- Knowledge of the DOE policies regarding student and employee records.
- Willingness to learn new skills and participate in professional development activities.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with colleagues, parents, students, and the community.
In addition to the cover letter, resume, and interview, applicants must present three references including, if possible, one from a current supervisor. Other references might include a colleague with whom the applicant has collaborated, and/or a professional organization or staff development representative.
WORK SCHEDULE & SALARY
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender(sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction(except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above - noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non - Discrimination Policy.
As of August 2, 2021, all NYC Department of Education new hires (who are not currently employees of the City of New York) must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to beginning their employment unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Please visit the New Employees page for details regarding Executive Order 75.