Getting Support

If you need help or have questions about your child's special education programs and services, there are many resources available.

Speak to Your Child’s IEP Team

Your child’s IEP team may include their teacher, related service provider, school psychologist, and/or school social worker. If your child attends preschool, a charter school, a private or parochial school, or a non-public school contact your Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) or Committee on Special Education (CSE).

What do CPSEs do?

The CPSE coordinates special education evaluations and services for children ages three to five.

What do CSEs do?

They will help you as your child moves to school-age special education services.

Meet with Your Child’s Principal

The principal will discuss your concerns with you, create a plan to resolve them, and support school staff as they implement the plan.

Get Help from DOE Staff in Your District

  • Contact the Family Support Coordinators with your Community or High School Superintendent (DOE public district school students only)
  • Contact the District 75 Superintendent’s Office (if your child attends a District 75 program) by emailing or calling 212-802-1500

Get Help from DOE Central Office Staff

Request Mediation

Mediation is a confidential, voluntary process that allows people to resolve disputes without a formal due process hearing. An impartial mediator helps each person or group to:

  • express their views and positions
  • understand the other’s views and positions

Mediators help parents and school representatives discuss the issues and reach an agreement. The mediator's role is not to recommend solutions or take positions or sides.

If everyone reaches an agreements, it is considered a binding agreement. This means that it cannot be changed, or appealed.

To learn more about mediation, visit the mediation page on the NY State Education Department website. You can also read The Special Education Mediation Tip Sheet from INCLUDEnyc.

How to Request Mediation

You can contact:


Institute for Mediation and Conflict Resolution (IMCR)
369 East 148th St, Lower Level
Bronx, NY 10455
Phone: 718-585-1190


New York Peace Institute
210 Joralemon St, Suite 618
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Phone: 718-834-6671
Fax: 718-834-6681


New York Peace Institute
111 John Street, Suite 600
Phone: 212-577-1740
Fax: 212-577-1748


Community Mediation Services
89-64 163rd St Jamaica, NY 11432
Phone: 718-523-6868 X268
Fax: 718-523-8204

Staten Island

NY Center for Interpersonal Development (NYCID)
130 Stuyvesant Place, 5th FL
Staten Island, NY 10301
Phone: 718-815-4557
Fax: 718-876-6068

Request an Impartial Hearing

You can request an impartial hearing (also known as a due process hearing) if you believe your child did not receive a free appropriate public education or reasonable accommodations. This is a legal proceeding before an Impartial Hearing Officer, who is not an employee of the DOE.

  • A resolution meeting will be held to discuss the issues in your complaint.
  • If you would like mediation instead of a resolution meeting, please make that request to the parties listed in the "Request Mediation" section above.

Learn more about Impartial Hearings.

File a Complaint with New York State

If you believe that the school district has violated federal or state law related to education of students with disabilities, you may submit a written complaint to the NY State Education Department.

File a Complaint with NY State.