Schools distribute Student MetroCards to eligible students at the beginning of each semester of the school year. Student MetroCards are different from regular MetroCards.
Use of Student MetroCards
Student MetroCards are:
- Only to be used by the student it was assigned to
- For traveling to and from school and school-related activities between 5:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- For traveling only on days when the student’s school is open for classes.
- Good for three trips each school day. This allows a student to travel to school, from school to an after school activity, and from that activity to home.
- Valid for one school semester.
Types of Student MetroCards
- Full-fare Student MetroCards allow students to travel to and from school and school-related activities by bus and subway at no cost. Please see the transportation eligibility page for more information.
- There is a special four-way Student MetroCard for students whose trip to school requires more than one transfer each way. You must request this type of card at your school.