Meet the 2022-2023 Big Apple Award Recipients
2022-2023 Big Apple Award recipients
What are the Big Apple Awards?
The Big Apple Awards recognize and celebrate New York City teachers who:
- inspire students
- model great teaching
- enrich their school communities
By honoring these teachers, we recognize all those who go above and beyond to serve our students and families!
The Big Apple Award Selection Process
It’s a multi-step process that takes many months—and it all starts with you! Students, families, administrators, and community members can all nominate any DOE teacher. We then initiate a rigorous selection process that includes multiple stakeholders across the DOE.
Receiving the Big Apple Award
Recipients are notified of their award in a surprise appearance from the chancellor, deputy chancellors, and other members of the NYC education community. This allows us to honor and celebrate these exceptional teachers in their teaching environment, sometimes even with their students and colleagues! Big Apple Award recipients are celebrated by the chancellor and may have the opportunity to participate in the Big Apple Fellowship, which includes engagement in leadership development sessions and the Chancellor’s Teacher Advisory Council.
Big Apple Award Selection Criteria
The specific criteria used to evaluate Big Apple Award nominees is as follows:
Impact on Student Learning
- The teacher sets and exceeds standards-driven goals for stellar student achievement (academic, social, and behavioral)
- The teacher establishes trust with students to allow for true collaboration and broaden impact on student learning
- The teacher uses rigorous instruction through a variety of teaching methods, creates a supportive environment in the classroom that actively engages students in learning, and acts as a collaborative teacher by working with others to innovate and hone their practice
- The teacher establishes trust with colleagues to allow for true collaboration and strengthen instructional practices
Contributions to School Community
- The teacher demonstrates effective leadership in and out of the classroom and shows relentless efforts to build strong family-community ties
- The teacher establishes trust with families and school leaders to allow for true collaboration and expands the impact of the professional contributions
Still Have Questions?
Check out our FAQ page to get answers.