Current eighth and ninth grade students who live in NYC can participate in Specialized High Schools admissions during the 2021-2022 school year. Watch our video series to learn more, and scroll down for the latest information.
In mid-October, each student will receive a personalized welcome letter by mail; this letter includes information on how to access your MySchools account and participate in high school and Specialized High Schools admissions. You can also request a copy of this letter from your school counselor.
How to Apply to the Eight Testing Specialized High Schools
- NOW - Prepare for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT). Use these 2022 practice materials and the SHSAT website to help prepare for test day. Information about testing accommodations is available in the High School and Specialized High Schools Admissions Guide.
- Register for the SHSAT. Registration will open in mid-October 2021. Specific registration dates are coming soon.
- Test. All registered students will take the SHSAT in December 2021. Specific test dates and other information will become available soon.
How to Apply to the One Audition Specialized High School
Interested in applying to programs at Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts? Learn how to prepare for auditions at laguardiahs.org. We'll provide updates soon on how and when to register for auditions and audition for this school.
Stay Engaged with Admissions
- Sign up for our high school admissions email list: we'll send you updates on what to do, when, to participate in high school and Specialized High Schools admissions.
- Read this page and watch our video playlist to learn more about this admissions process. For more in-depth information, read last year's digital High School and Specialized High Schools Admissions Guide. Please be aware that some information may change for 2022 admissions.
New to NYC Public Schools and Need a High School Now?
Learn what to do on our New Students page.
What Are the Specialized High Schools?
The nine Specialized High Schools are one way that New York City supports the educational needs of students who excel academically and/or artistically, including English Language Learners and students with an IEP or 504 Plan.
Who Can Apply?
Everyone eligible to apply to high school is also eligible to apply to the Specialized High Schools. To register to audition and/or schedule the SHSAT and to get your audition or test results, a student must be both of the following:
- A NYC resident
- A current eighth grade student or first-time (not repeating the grade) ninth grade student
One Audition High School—Audition to Apply
During the registration and submission periods, you can apply to Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts by submitting a portfolio and auditioning in a talent area for up to six different studios:
- Fine & Visual Art
- Vocal Music
- Instrumental Music
- Technical Theater
LaGuardia High School also considers students' academic records.
Eight Testing High Schools—Take the SHSAT to Apply
During the registration and testing periods, you can apply to the other eight Specialized High Schools by taking the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT). These schools are:
- The Bronx High School of Science
- The Brooklyn Latin School
- Brooklyn Technical High School
- High School for Mathematics, Science and Engineering at City College of New York
- High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- Queens High School for the Sciences at York College
- Staten Island Technical High School
- Stuyvesant High School
Use MySchools to learn more about each of the Specialized High Schools, as well as other public high school options. Search for schools by interest, location, and more from your computer or phone.
Learn About Schools
- Explore your high school options online with MySchools.nyc. The searchable MySchools high school directory contains the most up-to-date, detailed information on all NYC public high schools and programs. Save or print the pages of your favorite programs to browse offline.
- Find out more about each Specialized High School on its website:
- Check to see if schools are hosting any in-person or virtual events, or if they have resources for prospective applicants. For the most up-to-date information on open houses, contact schools directly.
Learn about admissions.
- Watch our Specialized High Schools Videos! Scroll to the top of this page to view them in the player. Also, watch our High School Admissions Video Series: we'll walk you through the steps of applying to high school in New York City.
- Read last year's digital High School and Specialized High Schools Admissions Guide.
- Use the digital Guide to the SHSAT for 2022 Admissions and the print SHSAT - Practice Test for 2022 Admissions (available from your current middle school) to find test tips and practice exams for students interested in applying to any/all of the eight testing Specialized High Schools. The practice tests and test tips are current and reflect the kinds of questions that will appear on the test.
- Visit our High School Auditions page to learn about the common requirements for each arts discipline that were used last year for audition programs, including for LaGuardia High School programs. This information was provided to help students prepare their auditions and/or portfolios. During the submission period, this page is where you can find the most up-to-date links and information on how to audition.
Register for LaGuardia Auditions and/or the SHSAT
- Registration for the SHSAT will open in mid-October. Specific dates are coming soon.
- Updates on registration for LaGuardia auditions are coming soon.
Our goal is that students in Specialized High Schools reflect the diversity of New York City. The Specialized High Schools Diversity Initiatives aim to increase testing, offer, and acceptance rates for high-potential students in underrepresented communities.
DREAM (Determination, Resiliency, Enthusiasm, Ambition, Motivation) is an extracurricular academic program that prepares eligible New York City public school students for the SHSAT. Learn if you might be eligible to participate.
In the spring after you take the test, we will contact you if you’re eligible to participate in a Discovery program. Discovery programs are for rising ninth grade students who take the SHSAT and score right below the cutoff score. Learn more about this program and eligibility requirements in the Specialized High Schools section of our Diversity in Admissions page.
Test Supports and Accommodations
Students with disabilities who have IEPs or approved 504 Accommodation Plans and English Language Learners are eligible for test supports and accommodations. ELL accommodations are available for students up to two years after they reach proficiency on the New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT). Work with your school counselor to confirm accommodations for your audition and/or test. Learn more about special education in NYC and tests for English Language Learners.
2021-2022 School Year SHSAT - Practice Test and Materials
Entering high school in 2022 and taking the SHSAT during the 2021-2022 school year?
To Prepare for the SHSAT:
2022 SHSAT Practice Test Sections
For your convenience, these practice test sections are also available as stand-alone documents to view and download.
Get Your Results
High school and Specialized High Schools results are released in the spring as part of the high school offer letter.
- Once released, offer letters and information are available to view in your MySchools account.
- Don't have a MySchools account? You can also get a copy of your offer letter or other offer information from your child's school counselor or a Family Welcome Center.
Your high school offer letter will include up to one offer from the high school application process, as well as any Specialized High Schools results and/or offers for the testing Specialized High Schools and/or LaGuardia High School.
High School Application Results Include
- Up to one offer to a program from the high school application process
- Detailed information about the waitlist process, including a list of programs where you are automatically waitlisted, if applicable—learn more in your offer letter or on our Waitlists page. All high school programs (except for the Specialized High Schools) have waitlists.
Specialized High Schools Results (If Applicable) Include
- Audition Specialized High School Results. If you auditioned for any programs at Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts, up to one offer to each program you auditioned for.
- Testing Specialized High Schools Results. If you took the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT), your SHSAT score and up to one offer to a testing Specialized High School. Remember: Getting an offer to a testing Specialized High School is not a guarantee. In a typical year, approximately 28,000 students take the SHSAT, and about 5,000 of those students receive an offer.