Nominations Are Now Open
Nominate an Educator for the Big Apple Awards
We are excited to announce that we have extended the nomination deadline for the 2020 Big Apple Awards! Please complete your nominations by Monday, December 9, 2019.
- Nominate Teachers who:
- Inspire students
- Model great teaching
- Enrich their school communities
- Nominate Counselors who:
- Have made significant strides in advancing post-secondary readiness
- Provided exemplary college and career supports and services at their school
- Demonstrated success on critical post-secondary metrics
Nominate an Educator for the Big Apple Awards
رشح أحد المعلمين لجائزة (Big Apple Awards).
বিগ অ্যাপেল অ্যাওয়ার্ডের জন্য একজন শিক্ষককে মনোনয়ন করুন।
Proposez un(e) éducateur(trice) pour le Prix Big Apple.
Nomen yon Edikatè pou Pri Big Apple Awards la
빅 애플 어워드(Big Apple Awards)를 위한 교육자를 추천해 주십시오.
Номинируйте педагога на премию Big Apple Awards.
Nomine a un educador para los premios Big Apple Awards.
بِگ ایپل ایوارڈز کے لیے ایک معلم کو نامزد کریں۔
Meet the 2019-2020 Big Apple Award recipients!
What are the Big Apple Awards?
It is a citywide recognition program celebrating New York City teachers who:
- inspire students
- model great teaching
- enrich their school communities
By honoring these teachers, we recognize all those who go above and beyond to serve our students and families!
For The Second Year: Big Apple College and Career Counselor Ambassador Award!
We are also pleased to recognize individuals whose efforts have gone above and beyond to improve NYC students’ access and success in postsecondary attainment. The Big Apple College and Career Counselor Award will honor counselors who lead postsecondary planning activities in their school that have made significant strides in advancing postsecondary readiness, provided exemplar college and career supports and services at their school, and demonstrated success on critical postsecondary metrics. Award recipients will participate in a fellowship year of executive leadership coaching while exploring the local and national postsecondary landscape and its impact on informing citywide policy.
Applications will be reviewed on competencies listed below:
- Impact on student college and career learning
- College and career counseling practices
- Contributions to school and postsecondary community
Big Apple Awards by the Numbers
- Seven years of recognizing teacher excellence in New York City
- 7,000+ nominations received in 2018 from students, families, teachers, and community members.
- 1,500+ schools had at least one teacher nomination. That means two out of every three schools in the City had a nominee!
- 79 percent of nominations came from you—students and their families.
- 200+ applicants were recognized as Finalists
The Big Apple Award Selection Process
It’s a five-step process that takes many months—and it all starts with you!
- Nominations: Students, families, administrators, and community representatives can all nominate a teacher from their school.
- Nomination Review: The selection committee reviews all nominations and invites 1,000 nominees to apply for the award
- Application Review: A Department of Education committee reviews the applications based on the selection criteria listed below.
- Finalists: Up to 250 applicants are invited named as Finalists. These Finalists are recognized as exemplary educators, and get either interviewed or visited by their superintendent’s review team
- Board of Judges: the Board of Judges reviews the finalists and recommends final recipients for the Chancellor's approval.
Why Nominate a Teacher?
- It’s a great way to show your appreciation for a dedicated teacher!
- Each nomination helps focus on what makes great teaching—and showcases the great work happening in schools citywide!.
- It’s not just about the award recipients
- All nominees are considered for additional DOE recognition opportunities this year
- Finalists are recognized by their district superintendent
- Big Apple Award recipients:
- Are celebrated by the Chancellor
- Will spend the 2020-2021 school year participating in the Big Apple Fellowship
- Join the Chancellor's Teacher Advisory Group
Receiving the Big Apple Award
Recipients receive surprise classroom visits from the Chancellor, Deputy Chancellors, and other members of the NYC education community, notifying them of their award. This allows us to honor and celebrate these exceptional teachers with their students and colleagues.
That next year, they serve as Big Apple Fellows, in addition to continuing their amazing work in the classroom, they serve on the Chancellor's Teacher Advisory Group. They meet monthly to develop their leadership skills and expertise in education.
Big Apple Award Selection Criteria
Below are the specific criteria used to evaluate Big Apple Award nominees and applicants:
Impact on Student Learning
- The teacher sets and exceeds standards-driven goals for stellar student achievement (academic, social, and behavioral)
- The teacher establishes trust with students to allow for true collaboration and broaden impact on student learning
- The teacher uses rigorous instruction through a variety of teaching methods, creates a supportive environment in the classroom that actively engages students in learning, and acts as a collaborative teacher by working with others to innovate and hone their practice
- The teacher establishes trust with colleagues to allow for true collaboration and strengthen instructional practices
Contributions to School Community
- The teacher demonstrates effective leadership in and out of the classroom and shows relentless efforts to build strong family-community ties
- The teacher establishes trust with families and school leaders to allow for true collaboration and expands the impact of the professional contributions
Still Have Questions?
Check out our FAQ page to get answers.