Bilingual Substitute Paraprofessionals are contacted on an as-needed basis to cover the absences of school based Full-Time Paraprofessionals or to fill long term positions. The Bilingual Substitute Paraprofessional assists Teachers with instructional support, and the daily care of students whose first language is one other than English. Some of these assignments may be with students who also have special education needs.
At this time, we are seeking Bilingual Substitute Paraprofessionals who are not only proficient in the English language, but who are also are fluent in at least one of the following languages:
- American Sign Language (ASL)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing language assistance to bilingual students, and if necessary, their parents.
- Encouraging bilingual students to become more fluent in the English language.
- Facilitating English language communications between the bilingual student and the classroom teacher.
- Providing one-on-one or small group instruction, as outlined by the Teacher.
- Reinforcing behavior through the use of positive behavior support.
- Teaching daily living skills such as independent feeding, dressing, toileting.
- Under the direction of a teacher, teach recreation, motor, socialization and communication skills.
- Aiding therapists and adaptive physical education providers during instruction.
- Guiding and assisting students in small group instruction settings with class routines.
- Assisting students with ambulation within the school premises and on class trips.
- Lifting, feeding, toileting and diapering after receiving appropriate training.
- Collecting data documenting student behavior and writing anecdotal reports.
During school hours. Work days will vary based upon need.
Current Per Diem rate of $157.87 / day. ($161.82, effective May 14, 2020)
- A high school diploma (or its recognized equivalent, e.g., GED)
- Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking the English language
- Skill in Reading, Writing and Speaking any of the languages listed above.
- Authorization to work in the USA
Due to overwhelming demand, the online application is currently closed.
You will be selected for further consideration only if there is a demand for your other-than-English language(s), in the locations you are willing to work. Candidates selected for further consideration will be required to:
- Pass an English Language Proficiency Assessment administered by the DOE
- Complete related workshops
- Be Fingerprinted
- Complete other requirements; Please visit: Paraprofessionals and Substitute Paraprofessionals.
If you have any questions about this position, please e-mail: SubstituteParaProfessionalJobs@schools.nyc.gov
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, alienage and citizenship status, age, marital status, disability, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as provided by law), sexual orientation, gender (sex), and to maintain an environment free of discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment, or retaliation as required by civil rights law. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 923, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at www.nycenet.edu/oeo.