Social Workers, Guidance Counselors, and Psychologists

Candidates interested in becoming a school counselor, social worker, psychologist, or attendance teacher in the New York City public schools must possess or have completed all requirements for the appropriate New York State certificate. Candidates from out-of-state may be considered provided that they fall within the guidelines for interstate reciprocity as defined on the New York State website. You can find details about New York State Certification requirements for these various titles on the New York State Education Department’s Certification page.

Application and Hiring Process

For full-time employment opportunities for the 2018-19 school year, new candidates are required to register and complete the online application, which is now open. Instructions will be provided at the registration site.

Since selection for these positions take place at the school level, you may research and apply directly to schools in which you have interest after you have completed an online application and received eligibility verification. (The Division of Human Resources does not hold interviews for these positions.) Candidates who are deemed eligible for PPS positions through the online pre-screening process will be placed on a list of available candidates for principals and hiring agents to review. This list will be forwarded to hiring supervisors upon request.

Eligible PPS candidates will be placed in the New Teacher Finder with eligible teachers. This search tool allows principals to post school-based positions and contact candidates, and allows candidates to search for vacancies and apply directly to schools. Please be aware that positions in this area are limited. These positions are generally posted during the summer months and at the beginning of the school year.

Bilingual Candidates for Pupil Personnel Services Positions

In order to seek a position as a Bilingual Pupil Personnel Services provider, you must hold the bilingual extension in addition to your base certificate in your professional discipline. If you have this extension certificate, please be sure to indicate this information when completing your online application. If you are bilingual and do not have the extension, we encourage you to pursue the bilingual extension requirements for certification. This will increase your chances of being selected for pupil personnel services positions. If you have been offered a position as a bilingual provider and need the bilingual extension, please contact the Office of Scholarship and Incentive programs for further information at 718-935-2449.

BPS Open House

Do you want to be a bilingual teacher? If you have not yet earned your Bachelor's degree and you are considering a career in bilingual childhood education, attend our open house:

Bilingual Pupil Services Open House

  • Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - 3:30 p.m.
  • 65 Court Street, Room 305, Brooklyn

For more information, contact the BPS office at (718) 935-3913.

BPS Program Benefits

  • Paraprofessional teaching experience in a bilingual childhood setting (grades 1-6)
  • Same salary and benefits as UFT professionals
  • Paid tuition in an accredited teacher education program at a participating college at the undergraduate level
  • Professional development, training, and mentorship support to become a New York State certified teacher of bilingual education.

Read more and apply here.

Scholarship Programs for Bilingual Candidates

Scholarships are available for candidates who are fluent in English and in a second language, based on DOE need, in the following areas:

  • Bilingual School Counseling
  • Bilingual School Psychology
  • Bilingual School Social Work
  • Bilingual Speech Pathology

For more information on the program and other scholarship areas, please visit the Scholarships & Incentives page (Need new page made--on this site and/or on InfoHub). Note that currently-employed teachers or clinicians are not eligible for the scholarship program.

SLP Clinical Placements/Field Training and Practicums for Social Workers and Guidance Counselors

As of the 2017-18 school year, a centralized system is in place for the placement of all school counselor field training and practicum interns, social work field training interns, and speech language pathologist clinical placement interns. This new centralized system will ensure that all internship (PPS student teaching) placements are aligned to agency protocols, including fingerprint clearance.

Please work with your clinical director/placement officer at your college or university if you are seeking placement in DOE schools. The clinical director/placement officer should contact for information to help you with the placement and clearance process.

Back to Top