In the next few months, more features will be added making this a true one stop for parent facing information to support student learning.
You can sign up for an account by entering a few basic details. This will allow you to begin receiving notifications from the DOE. It only takes five minutes, and it is the first step in getting a full account.
Track your Student’s Academic Progress
Did you know that you can track your child’s education on any computer, phone, or tablet? In MyStudent, you can track your student’s academic progress. View their grades, schedule, test scores, transportation, attendance, and more! If your student has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), you can view their student’s recommended services. You must be linked to a student in order to view this information. See the Adding Students section to learn how to link your student to your account.
NYCSA now allows you to submit digital versions of paper forms directly. Using technology powered by Docusign, you can fill out and sign a digital form that will be made immediately available to your school. You will no longer need to submit paper versions of these forms to your school. NYCSA currently hosts the following forms:
- Media Consent For NYC Department of Education Use
- Request to Identify Parents on Active Duty in the Armed Forces
- Special Education Recovery Services Form (for students with IEPs only)
More forms will be added soon!
You have to add students to the account in order to see more detailed information. Once you have done this, you can enjoy all the benefits your NYC Schools Account provides.
If you do not have a creation code, or the school did not send you a letter about NYCSA, you will have to register in-person or teleconference into a school. Use the Find a School tool to get your child’s school’s contact and location information.
- To register at school, bring a valid photo ID (like your passport, driver’s license, or IDNYC) and your child’s nine-digit student ID number, which can be found on your child’s report card.
- To register over teleconference, your child's school will verify you or your child's identity by voice or sight.
You can add other students to your account as well, using the same process as above.
You can invite other adults—like relatives or a tutor—to see information about your child on NYCSA. Some of the information on NYCSA is private, so be careful about who you invite.
To invite someone to NYCSA, log into your account and click on the Manage User Access page, to send an invitation to that adult’s email address. They will be prompted to enter your child’s nine- digit student ID and an Account Creation Code.
From this page, you can control how much information other users are able to see. You can assign a user to one of three roles:
- Custodial users can see all information available about a child in your NYCSA account. Parents have this level when they register an account.
- Noncustodial users can only see part of the information available.
- Additional users can only see information the custodial user lets you see.
If you were invited to access a NYCSA account and suddenly see less information than you are used to, it means someone changed your role.
Resetting Student Passwords
How to Reset Your Child’s Password in NYCSA
You can reset your student password easily by following these instructions:
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Student Password.
- Select the child whose password you want to update.
- Enter a new password. Your password must:
- Contain between 8–32 characters.
- Contain at least one number (0–9).
- Contain at least one lowercase letter (a–z).
- Contain at least one uppercase letter (A–Z).
- Retype the new password.
- Click on Save.
- That’s it! Your password has been reset.
If you are a parent who lives with your child, or if you are a custodial guardian, you can update your own home, cell, and work phone numbers and email address of yourself or other additional adults on your child’s record in your NYC Schools Account, using the Emergency Contact page. You also have the option to update your preferred written or spoken language.
You can also update your child’s health information to share with your child’s school. This includes your child’s physician name and phone number, any known diagnoses, allergies, limitations that may limit physical activity, and health insurance status.
You can also add additional emergency contacts to your student’s record within NYCSA. You can provide information for a grandparent, sibling, a relative like an aunt or uncle, and non-relative such as a tutor to be added in case of emergencies. You can also select if they are authorized to pick up your child from school.
The cell phone number you provide will be used by the DOE to contact you directly in the event of an emergency. We recommend reaching out to your child’s school to confirm that their records reflect your updated contact information and preferences.
When you sign in to your NYCSA account, you will see a pop-up message reminding you to update your emergency contact information. You may click Update Now to go directly to the Emergency Contact page. Once completed, select “Verified” at the top of the page.
If you need to update your home address, update siblings on your child’s record, or update order of protection information, you must contact your school directly to make the change(s), as this feature is not yet available.
Report an incident
If your child is a target of bullying, report the incident to your school’s Respect for All liaison. Use the Bullying Portal feature to report incidents of student-to-student discrimination, intimidation, and harassment. Please see the Fostering Anti-Bullying Practices page to learn more.
Grades, Attendance, and Messaging Family Guide
The DOE Grades application is an electronic gradebook for teachers.
- Teachers can create and grade assignments while maintaining all data fully secure and within the DOE.
- Teachers can import assignments from our school’s Learning Management System, [iLearn/Google Classroom], meaning that teachers will not have to do duplicate data entry.
- Students will be able to see assignments and assignment-level grades from the DOE Grades application in TeachHub in the fall.
- Parents will be able to see assignments and assignment-level grades in the NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) Portal in the fall.
DOE Attendance is an electronic attendance tool.
- Families already have access to their child’s attendance in NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) Portal.
- Teachers and school administrators will be able to quickly and securely update student attendance throughout the day.
The new DOE Messaging application offers multiple methods for outreach to families, such as voice calls, emails, and SMS texts.
- Our school staff will be able to send families messages by course/class, by grade, or even to the entire school.
- Messages can be sent in English and the nine DOE languages
Learn and become an advocate
Parent University offers training, coaching, and other resources for families to help you advocate for the educational success of your children. Take courses and modules and even gain certificates.
The information stored in NYCSA is secured and protected by 128-bit SSL encryption. Information about your child is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (Open external link) (FERPA).
Want to opt-in to receive communications from your school, district, and/or citywide parent leader volunteers?
- Go to “Manage Account” and selecting Stay Connected to begin receiving messages from your parent leaders.
Having trouble accessing your account, or have forgotten your password?
- Use the “Forgot your password?” link on the sign-in page to reset it.
- If the problem continues, contact your child’s school.
If any of the information you see about your child in NYC Schools Account is incorrect, contact your child’s school.
For any questions about your access to another child’s NYC Schools Account, we encourage you to speak with that child’s parent.
If you have questions about your child’s NYC Schools Account, contact your child’s school or call 311.
You can also use the “Feedback” feature on the bottom of each page.
We invite you to provide feedback using the Suggestions form. The link is found at the bottom of the page once you are signed into the Account.