Click below to learn statistics about each respective topic, like the total number of students in the school system.
In 2022-23, there were 1,047,895 students in the NYC school system, the largest school district in the United States. Of those students:
- 14.1 percent of students were English Language Learners
- 20.9 percent were students with disabilities
- 72.8 percent were economically disadvantaged
- Race or ethnicity:
- 41.1 percent Hispanic
- 23.7 percent black
- 16.5 percent Asian
- 14.7 percent white
- 140,918 were in charter schools
Schools and Programs
There are 1,867 schools within the DOE as of Fall 2022, including 275 charter schools.
Graduation and Dropout Rates
- The four-year graduation rate increased by 1.1 percentage points, from 82.6 percent in August 2021 to 83.7 percent in August 2022.
- The dropout rate increased by 0.5 percentage points, from 4.9 percent in August 2021 to 5.4 percent in August 2022.
Test Results, Graduation Results, and Other Data
See the Information and Data page on the InfoHub for more detailed reports and other information about:
- Test Results
- English Language Arts & Math
- Regents exams
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Advanced Placement exams
- Graduation Results
- Survey Results
- NYC School Survey
- Principal Satisfaction Survey
- School Quality
- School Quality Reports
- Quality Review Ratings
- Doing research on New York City public schools