Click below to learn statistics about each respective topic, like the total number of students in the school system.
In 2020-21, there were 1,094,138 students in the NYC school system, the largest school district in the United States. Of those students:
- 13.3 percent of students were English Language Learners
- 20.8 percent were students with disabilities
- 73.0 percent were economically disadvantaged
- Race or ethnicity:
- 40.8 percent Hispanic
- 24.7 percent black
- 16.5 percent Asian
- 14.8 percent white
- 138,648 were in charter schools
Schools and Programs
In 2021-22, there are 1,859 schools within the DOE as of Fall 2021, including 271 charter schools.
Graduation and Dropout Rates
- The four-year graduation rate increased by 2.4 percentage points, from 78.8 percent in August 2020 to 81.2 percent in August 2021.
- The dropout rate decreased by 1.0 percentage points, from 5.8 percent in August 2020 to 4.8 percent in August 2021.
Test Results, Graduation Results, and Other Data
See the Information and Data page on the InfoHub for more detailed reports and other information about:
- Test Results
- English Language Arts & Math
- Regents exams
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Advanced Placement exams
- Graduation Results
- Survey Results
- NYC School Survey
- Principal Satisfaction Survey
- School Quality
- School Quality Reports
- Quality Review Ratings
- Doing research on New York City public schools